oil change

kingcobra9450

Established Member
ok well this is the first time im going to change the oil in my car since if had it. is it true that 94 and 95 cobras have two drain plugs. also is there going to be anything that suprises me or are there any other tricks i need to know.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Same as all other cars basically. Just remember to smear some oil on the oil-filter O-ring and that's it. I don't know about the dual-drain-plug thing, but if it has two, just unscrew them both separately with the drain-pan under each one individually.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
he is the maintence guru for the pushrod cobras

Ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Not really.

My '95 had two drain plugs, and as far as I know, the '94 engine is the same.
Drain one at a time. If this is your first oil change, I'd go to Ford and get two new plugs. They have a seal (o-ring type) under the head of the bolt, and it wouldn't hurt to start with a new bolt & seal. If you don't over-torque the bolt and try to twist the head off, it'll last a long time. A socket or box wrench is the proper tool.

The oil filter is a little messy, and will drain oil all over the front suspension components, unles you try to catch it in a rag or something else. The last oil change I did before I sold it, I had the filter in two fingers, trying to balance it on the way to the drain tank, and it slipped forward and I got a face, shirt, and glasses full of hot splashed oil. It's a lot easier to catch the oil instead of trying to wipe it off the components (it always leaves a residue, unless you wash it off).

When you go to Ford, always makes sure they understand that you're getting parts for a Cobra. I had many problems with one certain dealer that didn't seem to know the difference, even when I told him the diagram he was showing me wasn't for a Cobra. You have to be patient, but be the boss - it's your money and time!

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Since the 94/95's have the same engine as the 5.0 GT's I would have to assume they do have the two drain plugs. My old 5.0 '86 GT had two plugs too. As I recall they are both on the oil pan. One is more toward the front at a slight angle if I recall correctly.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
As I recall they are both on the oil pan.

LMFAO, Shannon. That's funny as hell, this late at night ... JK :lol:
:beer: :beer: :banana: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :banana: :beer: :beer:

Toasty

Established Member
kingcobra9450 said:
ok well this is the first time im going to change the oil in my car since if had it. is it true that 94 and 95 cobras have two drain plugs. also is there going to be anything that suprises me or are there any other tricks i need to know.

All Mustang 5.0's from 79-95 came with a double hump oil pan that has two drain plugs AFAIK. Make sure you drain both. Doing one at a time is fine. FL-1A motorcraft (your cobra deserves it) and some nice mobil-1 5w-30 synth (or redline or royal P or other high quality synth). Change your PCV and air filter whenever you change your oil. Gas is way more expensive than a air filter at 80% capability.

rrich1

Established Member
Toasty said:
All Mustang 5.0's from 79-95 came with a double hump oil pan that has two drain plugs AFAIK. Make sure you drain both. Doing one at a time is fine. FL-1A motorcraft (your cobra deserves it) and some nice mobil-1 5w-30 synth (or redline or royal P or other high quality synth). Change your PCV and air filter whenever you change your oil. Gas is way more expensive than a air filter at 80% capability.
why would you changer your air filter every 3k? that is more than what gas would be even if it was clogged to hell. you also dont have to change your pcv every 3k either. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread