Oil Change problem

Nulltime

Established Member
I recently purchased a 2012 GT500 with 9400 on the odometer. At 11800 now.

Decided to get an oil change at a shop and brought my own oil a KMAN's oil change kit 7 Quarts of Motocroft 5w-50 and an frpp filter. Supposed to have 6.5 of that installed.

They came back and stated it needed another quart I was one short.

As I am new to these I did not realize what they had done until I got to my office about 5 miles away that they had in fact added 8 Quarts.....

I checked the stick and my jaw dropped at how overfull it was. Called them and drove it back at lunch VERY slowly and forced them to drain it back to 7 Quarts. (They didn't seem to want to go lower?)

I drive very gently normally and never went above 2500 to 3k rpm at the highest (once briefly) during that time frame.

Not noticing any issues oil looked clean both at the stick and when they were draining.

1. Do you guys think I am ok?
2. Is 7 Quarts a problem? Looks like it should have 6.5

Thanks!

Distance driven was 10 miles both ways total.

Last edited:

Joewee500

Established Member
So did they provide the 8th quart? As soon as they said it needed another quart I would have had them do a full drain and provide me with 7 fresh quarts. I'm sure you're fine but I'd still go back and have them redo it while you watched them pour in 6.5 quarts.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I fill mine per manual spec. Then check level.

Sorry dude. I'm sure you're concerned. I hate to be that guy but these are examples of precisely why I do my own oil and have for years on every one of my vehicles.

All you need is a jack and two jacks stands buddy for a piece of mind.

Nulltime

Established Member
I brought 7.

They added all 7 (no idea why they did this! all they work on are mustangs) and then added an 8th quart.

I brought it back to them and they removed the added quart (Watched them do it) via the plug under the car.

So you think I should get my oil changed again asap?

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I'd say you're fine. But I'm no expert.

I would take it as a lesson and do your own from now on. Just my $.02

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Upset about what? My wife thinks it's hot when I get dirty heh heh...

Plus I get a free pass to be in the garage and drink beer...

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
6.5 quarts max. I only pour in 6 quarts and I am centered in the safe zone on the dipstick and never had to add any between annual oil changes.

Joewee500

Established Member
I'm saying that if it were me then I would make them change the oil with exactly the amount needed. They would rather do that than risk their insurance paying for a damaged engine.

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
Overfill by a quart and a half would not cause any harm. The worst that would happen is oil aeration due to rod dipping, where the crank and rods whip up the oil. With 10 miles on the oil, no damage was done - you'll be fine with the same oil in the pan at the proper oil level.

Credentials: 3 years of design/development experience with lubrication systems for a major OEM.

slowbra1

Established Member
Overfill by a quart and a half would not cause any harm. The worst that would happen is oil aeration due to rod dipping, where the crank and rods whip up the oil. With 10 miles on the oil, no damage was done - you'll be fine with the same oil in the pan at the proper oil level.

Credentials: 3 years of design/development experience with lubrication systems for a major OEM.

+1

Nulltime

Established Member

THANK YOU!!!!

I've been in absolute panic mode all day.

Huge relief!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I fill mine per manual spec. Then check level.

Sorry dude. I'm sure you're concerned. I hate to be that guy but these are examples of precisely why I do my own oil and have for years on every one of my vehicles.

All you need is a jack and two jacks stands buddy for a piece of mind.

+1 and with race ramps you don't even need the buddy, just the beers lol. To many horror stories i could go into with dealer service. Once a year oil change done myself with amsoil saves a considerable amount of money and nonsense.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
OP, you are fine. You were smart to check the level, prior to driving hard, saving potential damage.

marc1

Established Member
I think you will be fine. While I change my own oil for reasons like this, I understand not everyone can always. So in that case, next time only take the shop 6 qts, indicate to them to only add the 6 you brought and you can take care of the final top up later at home.

Users who are viewing this thread