Oil Capacity Question

melissa809

Established Member
So...i just had Ford do an oil change and airbag recall on my Shelby

The bill showed 8 quarts of oil..of course, i questioned that and the mechanic showed me his computer

8 quarts without filter change..8.5 eirh new filter

Of course, they changed my filter

He popped the hood for me and we checked the dipstick

The oil is exactly in the middle of the 2 holes

At 8.5 quarts I'm always high on the dipstick

I ordered a quart of oil off of Amazon..but what do you guys/gals think?

I'm thinking i need to add a half quart

Yea or Nay???

Thanks in advance

Melissa

Rael

Established Member
I think I'd rely on my dipstick. So long as all the oil's drained back into the crankcase when it's measured.

Sometimes the computer doesn't show what was actually done; and sometimes the computer isn't updated when it should have been. Trust the manual, or your lying eyes? :rolleyes:

Rael

Established Member
Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm thinking that if you took your car to a good mechanic and asked him or her to check it out for you, and the mechanic sees oil at the top of the dipstick, he or she wouldn't add more oil.

melissa809

Established Member
Well..at 8.5 quarts the oil is always at the top of the dipstick

This time..with only 8 quarts..the oil level is dead center on the dipstick

Ford says 8.5 quarts, right?..

melissa809

Established Member
Wait..your replying to me like I'm an idiot.

You got an issue that a chick drives one of these cars..and little ole me can't figure out how to check her oil?

And what are you doing in this section, anyway? You're driving a shit box GT

You know what...go **** yourself

Drewsky65

Established Member
Calm down! The car only needs 8 on changes especially if it is not a track pack car. I bought 9 qt's to be safe the first time I changed mine. Put 8 in and the dipstick read perfect. Not all of the oil is coming out during the drain. However it's ok. Pick up and extra qt to have handy in case it gets low. But if the dipstick is between the dots your 100% good

Speedboosted

Established Member
Wut just happened?

First off, if the dipstick shows that it's full (in the middle is the correct amount) then it is fine. Don't mess with it. If you didn't have your eyes glued to the manual, how would you know how much oil to add? I bet you're a real joy to have as a customer.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Both my 13 and 14 Shelby's had track packs so that has the larger air to air oil cooler. I'm guessing yours does also. Both of my cars take almost 9 qts when I do my oil changes. so 8.5 is pretty spot on IMO.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I have a 2013 GT500 TP and when I change my oil, it only takes 8 quarts to fill to just below the max mark on my dipstick. This is my oil level reading after 3000 miles, minus the oil drained from my oil separator.

Dipstick.jpg

oil dipstick 2.jpg

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Between the marks, I wouldn't worry. I've don't add the extra 1/2 quart since I don't care about it being to the FULL mark. It is about middle and that is easy enough.

Tom

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Track pak needs a little more oil than the performance pak. I try to target for the middle of the dip stick. Even slightly over full is not desirable as you run the risk of the crank counterweights running in the oil and causing it to foam. I do my own oil changes. If you dont, alway check someone elses work. Pul the stick yourself and make sure its in the middle. The middle is a good level as it allow for expansion with heat.

BOOCOCKY

Established Member
Wait..your replying to me like I'm an idiot.

You got an issue that a chick drives one of these cars..and little ole me can't figure out how to check her oil?

And what are you doing in this section, anyway? You're driving a shit box GT

You know what...go **** yourself

Wow! Good luck getting anyone to help you in the future.

pilote

Established Member
J'ai changé le filtre à huile avec le changement d'huile ... l'application manuelle ainsi que 8 litres plus frais que sans. Mon mécanicien a 8 litres devant moi.
Je ressens tellement le niveau au point de la jauge ... Manuel complet de conformité.
Je suis toujours surpris ... Je pense que dans les refroidisseurs d'huile, il doit y avoir 0,5 litre. Il doit être pourquoi le manuel parle de 8 litres parce qu'il ne tient pas compte des radiateurs de drain ... mon mécanicien ne les a pas dragués.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
J'ai changé le filtre à huile avec le changement d'huile ... l'application manuelle ainsi que 8 litres plus frais que sans. Mon mécanicien a 8 litres devant moi.
Je ressens tellement le niveau au point de la jauge ... Manuel complet de conformité.
Je suis toujours surpris ... Je pense que dans les refroidisseurs d'huile, il doit y avoir 0,5 litre. Il doit être pourquoi le manuel parle de 8 litres parce qu'il ne tient pas compte des radiateurs de drain ... mon mécanicien ne les a pas dragués.
Wut?

Users who are viewing this thread