oil cap???

foxbodygt90

Established Member
hey there, my question is regarding the oil cap breather on the valve cover. I seen a k&n breather, but I notice that in order to replace the stock one, you need to remove a hose that goes to the throttle body? is the hose necessary or not?? I will like to replace mine with a k&n one thanks...

buddha93

Established Member
You don't have to remove the hose. You just unscrew the OEM and screw in the breather.

foxbodygt90

Established Member
well after looking at my breather, I have a mr.gasket breather and is a push in. I have chrome ford valve covers, now to the hose, is hooked up to the breather, there is no way to plug the hose to the K&N breather:??:

buddha93

Established Member
well after looking at my breather, I have a mr.gasket breather and is a push in. I have chrome ford valve covers, now to the hose, is hooked up to the breather, there is no way to plug the hose to the K&N breather:??:

So the hose doesn't lead up to the throttle body? Well, whatever you have, screw the hose and just cap it at the valve cover and run whatever breather you want. The hose is nothing more than an emissions thing, and an open breathe negates any of that.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
The reason people use the filter is instead of running a factory EGR setup which is taking the aerated oil and using the intake as a vacuum to ingest the aerated oil into the engine instead of into the atmosphere. The reason of the air filter is because the aerated oil going back into the engine creates a nice sludge on the inside of the intake and can build up and hamper performance. On boosted applications since boost creepes past the rings and the pressure needs to escape. If you don't have a breather the pressure usually finds the weakest seal which is the front or rear crankshaft seal. The negatives of a breather mounted at the valvecover is your going to notice a build up of dust and oil residue on your engine do to the misting. Now the alternative is to run a EGR style hose to a canister or breather mounted outside of the engine bay. This is what I did, I actually have a Line that runs from my rear intake EGR to a external mounted breather canister and I also tig weld a -12 AN fitting on to my valvecover then ran a -12 to -10 adapter to a 90 degree -10 to a push on hose fitting. Ran the hose back to the firewall and mounted a K/N Filter on a custom bracket. The reason I have the hose going over the intake pipe instead of under is because the heavier aerated oil can flow back into the valve cover. If it goes under the oil pools in the hose and creates back pressure.

This mod works on a standard foxbody and 93 Cobras and Cobra R's

filter3.jpg

VCfitting.JPG

VCbreather.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread