Oil all over the place after clutch install

herdfan75

Established Member
I had to adjust a tail pipe tonight because it was rubbing a tire, and noticed oil everywhere. From the bottom of the bellhousing clear back to the rear transmission mount.

I just put a new clutch, TOB, etc. including a new rear main seal. I was sure the seal went in straight and seated all the way and seems to be fine. At first I thought maybe that's where the oil was coming from, but the clutch isn't slipping. Also, I got under the car and took the two bottom bolts out of the bellhousing so I could pull it back and look up in and it appears to be dry. My oil cooler was leaking at one point, but it doesn't appear to be coming from there. This oil is blowing back onto the h pipe on each side and to the rear transmission brace.

Finally, there is oil on each side of the engine on the bottom, kind of like the valve covers and/or intake are leaking, however, it looks old and there doesn't seem to be a lot of fresh stuff there, especially enough to be showing up like this.

I wiped everything off as best I could and took the car out and honestly ran it pretty hard for about 20 minutes. I checked it when I got back and I don't see anything new. Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

herdfan75

Established Member
Anyone?

I wiped everything off last night. I check it just now and there is oil dripping from the bell housing, but I can't tell if it's coming down from the oil pan or not. I don't think it's blowing back from the oil cooler, plus it just sat all night. I didn't think a rear main would leak just sitting there. Any ideas what I'm missing? When I look up into where the bell housing bolts on to the block I swear it looks dry. Where is this coming from??

ZeroDCX

Established Member
If it wasn't leaking prior to the rear main seal replacement, that's where I would be looking towards.

herdfan75

Established Member
Ok when I put the seal in I put it back as far as it would go and then that allowed the metal ring, I guess the oil slinger to sit flush in the case. What did I do wrong? Should I have removed that plate and put the seal in the plate and left the slinger/ring out? I can't believe I'm going to have to pull that transmission again. Luckily it isn't slipping.

Someone please tell me how to install the seal (yes I used Ford) correctly so I don't have to do it again. I've done plenty of these in older cars without issue. So frustrated.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Pull the plate, remove the old seal, seat the new seal just slightly off from the old one.

The rear main seal wear a very minor groove in the crank, if you put it back in the same exact spot it's prob gonna leak you want the new seal to make it's on groove over time on a virgin part of the crank

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

herdfan75

Established Member
Think I should just leave the oil slinger out? I bent it a little last time and that very well may be my problem.

96GT226410

Established Member
I fixed it this weekend. I had put the seal too far forward in the plate allowing oil to leak. I put a new seal (Ford just like the first one) flush with the plate surface and it's fine now. Lesson learned!

I remember that with my last 96 GT. My uncle who works for Ford said that the plate will seat the rear main seal.

Users who are viewing this thread