Oh boy!!! What'd i break???

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
So, the other day I'm driving, not getting on it, just crusing to a red light and I hear a really loud bang under the car. Sounded like I ran something over and it slapped really hard underneath the car. Long story short, it seems like whenever something makes a revolution, the car feels like it binds up, then kind of jumps forward as it breaks the bind and makes a loud sound. There are no leaking fluids anywhere, the car runs both foward and reverse. Drive shaft is in place. I did have a new wheel bearing put in just a few hundred milkes ago (had to get a Level 5 upgraded by DDS, another long story). Jacked up the back of the car and both rear wheels turn well, until I hit that spot in a revolution of something and hit that spot that binds and then bangs. What'd I break??? I need to tow it to a shop to be repaired, just would like some insight as to what I might be in for!!!:eek::eek::eek:

oldmodman

Established Member
Check the U-joints in the driveshaft?

Does the bang happen once every wheel rotation? Or does it seem like every driveshaft rotation?

Stephen4036

Established Member
could one tooth in his gearset be broken off and thats the smack when it hits a half shaft?

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Sounds like it should be pretty easy to figure out

I don't work on this type of stuff myself...it should be easy enough after another $300 tow out to the speed shop I use. Really sucks, great weather coming and my vert's out of comission.:whine::whine::whine:

Spoolx

Established Member
I don't work on this type of stuff myself...it should be easy enough after another $300 tow out to the speed shop I use. Really sucks, great weather coming and my vert's out of comission.:whine::whine::whine:

Nows a good time to start

lxhatch302

Established Member
id say a tooth broke of the ring/pinion gear...

i shattered all the teeth off my 3.90s two week ago at the track and it would turn over then lock up cause it was getting bound up

Power Stroke

Established Member
Man that sucks. I had to build a new IRS less than 300 miles ago, the parts werent cheap. baught the car with a leak in the rear, tore it down to reseal and found some bad news.looks like the spider gears teeth broke off and bound up the ring and pinion, pushed a shard through the aluminum housing and needless to say it was everything but a simple reseal. Hopefully i can get the seller to help me out, as it appears that someone cleaned the metal pieces out of the housing and changed the fluid. Im pretty sure he was aware of this issue selling me the car. I feel your pain man. Especially if you have to pay labor, these things are a bear to get out and im a mechanic.good thing these cars dont roll into our shop very often. Hope it all works out.

TVSCobra

Established Member
The information provided in your post, I have to agree with the thought something in your differential broke. Ethier one of the teeth on the spider gears in the differenital carrier itself or a tooth on the ring gear or pinon.

Regardless it needs to be taken apart and inspected. When you jacked up the car and spun the rear wheels is the noise coming from inside the differential or somewhere else back there?

Sorry to hear that man, but not uncommon with the power and torque these cars make. What mods do you have?

yellow_04

Established Member
Had pretty much the same thing happin to me took it all down to find the differential was almost split in half thru a Detroit true track in it never had a problem since

Users who are viewing this thread