Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The first post was just updated with the new sample provided by my little uranium friend. Some have said that he lights up like a glow stick in the dark, and never requires a flashlight to see. We know him as NuclearPower!

Thanks for sample #2. Your samples are now numbered #15 and #16 on the chart, and I used Smurf Blue as your highlighted color. Now isn't that Smurfy! Yes, I noticed they are not in order...I'll fix that next time.

0ad97d52.jpg

Your wear numbers look fantastic for a 5,000 mile interval with an engine less than 10,000 miles of use. Now that the samples are side by side on the excel sheet, you can easily see the decline of wear metals and silicon. Silicon is from the sealers used to build the engine, and will decrease even further next sample. Ignore the comments to "check your air induction system". Depending on the tech that runs your sample, not all of them know this is normal in the GT500 engine. Some do though. I know the message from the tech seems scary, but ignore it. TBN isn't lower than it should be, oxidation should be ignored, we already know why silicon is so high, and we are already aware that Motorcraft shears.

The lubricant sheared ~30% to a light 40 grade lubricant @ 13.9 cSt. Your new fill of Amsoil 10W-40 will maintain a 14.5ish viscosity range and shear very little (less than 3%).

TBN is right on par for a 4900 mile interval. No worries there. You still had plenty of active additive remaining up to the 7500 mile recommended interval from Ford. I know the lubricant can do it, and every UOA I see around the 5000 mile interval confirms this. TBN isn't depleted in a linear fashion, but this sample is on par with all of the others.

Everything looks great, and I will be the first to admit....Motorcraft 5W-50 is doing a far better job in the newer aluminum engines than it ever did in the iron block variants from 2007-2010. Can't wait to see your next interval from Amsoil 10W-40. Thanks again for the contribution to the GT500 community here at SVT Performance.

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
Dude! Smurf blue:nonono:at least make it magenta or purple, hell I'll even take pink...:-D

Thanks man. The Amsoil sample will be in about X-mas time frame and I'll keep you posted...Loving it by the way. Gas mileage is definitely up a little...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Dude! Smurf blue:nonono:at least make it magenta or purple, hell I'll even take pink...:-D

Next sample I will update your color as "rainbow" :lol:

Gas mileage is definitely up a little...

Told ya so, but their are still some MC 5W-50 fan boys who disagree with me and say that's impossible.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Next sample I will update your color as "rainbow" :lol:

Told ya so, but their are still some MC 5W-50 fan boys who disagree with me and say that's impossible.

Rainbow! Them fighting words!:kaboom:

I didn't believe you either on the Amsoil being smoother and providing better MPG. BUT I will admit that you were right...just like you admitted that the MC seems to be holding up better with the new block. Most people will never see the increased MPG because they don't drive the car enough to judge. Since I do 500 miles a week, same route, same speeds, cruise control, etc...I can judge quite accurately. I am getting about 1 mpg better with the Amsoil. Gone from avg of 20 to avg of 21. Still looking forward to your eval of the 10w-30....

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Rainbow! Them fighting words!:kaboom:

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke. :lol:

I didn't believe you either on the Amsoil being smoother and providing better MPG. BUT I will admit that you were right...just like you admitted that the MC seems to be holding up better with the new block. Most people will never see the increased MPG because they don't drive the car enough to judge. Since I do 500 miles a week, same route, same speeds, cruise control, etc...I can judge quite accurately. I am getting about 1 mpg better with the Amsoil. Gone from avg of 20 to avg of 21. Still looking forward to your eval of the 10w-30....

Thanks for verifying my statements. Amsoil 10W-40 is no joke, and is far superior to Motorcraft 5W-50. When I first began telling people how impressed I was with the performance of a true synthetic 10W-40 lubricant compared to MC 5W-50, I was called biased. Then I was called a shill, and that it was the placebo effect. Very few believed me when I said that the engine revved smoother, felt more peppy, and was getting 1 mpg better on average. Now I will use your post, and others like it, as proof of my statements.

This website is for you, I use it weekly and it helps me register all of my fuel purchases, how far I drive, how much I paid for it, and how much was city or hwy. You have to use this log! Sign up today.

Fuelly

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
I actually have a 'little black book' in the glove box that I track all the same info. I also track oil changes, filters, mods, etc..........Feel completely free to use my feelings about Amsoil. i too was a nonbeliever, so we can be converted.:rockon:

kanae

Established Member
Which amsoil is the 10w-40? I should use.

It it this? SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil (AMO)

Thanks
Patrick

NuclearPower

Established Member
Just wanted to update everyone on my experience with Amsoil, that way you guys hear it from somebody other than Beast. Although Beast may not like this...

I have about 2xxx miles on the Amsoil 10W-40 now and it still starts up smoother and ever so slightly faster. My MPG is about a wash now though. I'm guessing this is about the point the MC would shear down:shrug:

That being said I will continue to use the Amsoil because I know I am getting a pure synthetic...:thumbsup:

I also intend on replacing the trans and diff fluid soon to Amsoil and hopefully wil see some MPG benefit from that...

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I have about 2xxx miles on the Amsoil 10W-40 now and it still starts up smoother and ever so slightly faster. My MPG is about a wash now though. I'm guessing this is about the point the MC would shear down:shrug:

Perfect time to pull a sample and find out how its holding up.

NuclearPower

Established Member
I'll pull the sample when I change the oil in about another month. Sorry, but I dont have a draw tube, so I do it when I change the oil.

Can somebody point me to the thread for changing the supercharger oil...

Happy Turkey day to all the Turkeys out there!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Buy one of these.

Amsoil sample pump

Makes taking an oil sample through the dip stick hole easy, and you don't have to change your oil to sample. Your oil at 2,000 miles is barely used. I wouldn't dump it yet. I've also used it to suck the oil out of the supercharger to change it.

f1648149.jpg

0304011309.jpg

NuclearPower

Established Member
There you go again pimping Amsoil products...:lol:

Can you use the pump in the other direction to push the fluid where you want it? Or does it just suck? Fluid that is....:lol:

Seriously though....

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is a sample taken from a 2011 GT500 with 2,000 miles on the oil and 3,500 miles on the engine.

77a71a8c.jpg

Wear numbers for 2,000 miles are lower than what is expected from Motorcraft 5W-50. I wonder if the lower than normal viscosity reduced engine wear? This would confirm why I am experiencing lower wear with Amsoil 10W-30 and putting another nail in the coffin for 50 grade lubricants in the 5.4L engine.

Here are the abnormalities in this MC 5W-50 report.

1. Fuel dilution is severely high. I have asked the owner for all mods installed on the car, and the tuner. If there are any dyno sheets, or wideband readings at WOT, that would also be helpful. *EDIT* Fuel dilution was caused by short trips with a 170* thermostat. It's a must to drive this car long enough to allow the oil to reach the boiling point of fuel, then water/moisture.

2. Viscosity is very low for Motorcraft 5W-50, as I have never seen it lower. This is a direct result of fuel dilution. Viscosity of 11.9 is in the mid to high range of 30 grade lubricants. *However, as stated above....the lower viscosity appeared to do this engine a favor*

3. TBN (detergent additives) is low @ 3.12 for only having 2,000 miles on this lubricant. Seems like the lubricant was working overtime to fight fuel.

I'm not concerned with Silicon "abrasives", as this was the second oil change in the engine. Every oil change in the GT500 will yield lower silicon ppm content and will level off around 20-30 ppm on every sample for the life of the engine.

I'm also not concerned with oxidation testing. Unless you have a virgin sample to calculate the percent of change and to calibrate the testing machine with, more than likely you will not get accurate results.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Thats' a lot of dirt. I would inspect the air filter, unless its a k&n thats how they operate.

Users who are viewing this thread