Office multifuncton copiers ??????

forbanger

Established Member
Well my office gave us a new task of getting a new multifunction copier.

We've met with 3 sales people and huge price ranges (4K-19K).

In the beginning I researched online but there are just wayyyyy too many.

Does anyone have any input on good Multifunction copier brands? So far we have been pitched konica minolta, kyocera, and lanier.

Any help would be great!

p.s.

we print/copy about 10,000 pages /month.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
We use Xerox. We only buy the paper. They supply the copiers, we pay a monthly fee for the ink determined by usage. Everything is covered as far as the copiers go. We have about 30 in the building ranging from high end color to more traditional black/white.

At 10K+ copies a month, it may be worthwhile looking into it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
We use Xerox. We only buy the paper. They supply the copiers, we pay a monthly fee for the ink determined by usage. Everything is covered as far as the copiers go. We have about 30 in the building ranging from high end color to more traditional black/white.

At 10K+ copies a month, it may be worthwhile looking into it.

exactly how we do it. some are a POS, some are good. its easy enough to have them come out and fix them. probably cheaper in the long run.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
if you cant front the cash, just lease it...you can get a nice full color multifunction for around $250/month (talking like a $15k to purchase model).

I like our Savin a lot so far.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I ran a network with several Sharp copiers for several years. We got one of them upwards of 2 million copies/prints.
But as mentioned -- don't buy, lease. Sounds like you're a small shop -- a leasing plan with included maintenance, toner and "x" copies/year is the way to go. That way you pay a flat monthly fee for the whole shebang, except paper. The only time you'll pay for anything is if you exceed the agreed copies/year.

If you have any companies in your building/office park, ask around. Talk to either the IT person or the accounting mgr. They'll be the ones who will have the best handle on reliability and cost.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
We used xerox for b/w and color machines. Both units are a bit temperamental, usually it was the pearl coated paper that would jam the machines. We also had two Kyocera wide format printers, those two sucked ass. Always had network issues and print quality issues.

jrandy

Established Member
I ran a network with several Sharp copiers for several years. We got one of them upwards of 2 million copies/prints.
But as mentioned -- don't buy, lease. Sounds like you're a small shop -- a leasing plan with included maintenance, toner and "x" copies/year is the way to go. That way you pay a flat monthly fee for the whole shebang, except paper. The only time you'll pay for anything is if you exceed the agreed copies/year.

If you have any companies in your building/office park, ask around. Talk to either the IT person or the accounting mgr. They'll be the ones who will have the best handle on reliability and cost.

Some good info in here, minus one part. I work for a Konica Minolta dealer. I wouldn't recommend the "minimum" or "included copies" that many companies do.

I say this for two reasons: First, if you don't use the whole 10,000 copies per month, you still end up paying for them.

Secondly, you pay interest on those copies each month.

The way I write 99% of my deals are a per copy basis. Basically, we pull the copies that you did the previous month and bill you for them. That way if you have a slow month, you don't pay for what you don't produce.

If you are talking strictly a black and white machine, I would try to get a rate per copy of around $0.0065 per copy. This should include all service, maintenance, and supplies, minus paper and staples.

If that volume includes color, I would try to stick around $0.06 per copy for color.

Just like cars, different manufactures have different selling points.

I sell Konica Minolta so I am slightly biased. They are seen though as a top tier brand. I hear lots of feedback from IT people that they are the easier of the brands to hang on the network.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, or if you want to send me a few quote you get I can guide you the right way. :beer:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I have sold office tech since 2005. A couple questions.

--Are you printing color?
--What are your scanning needs?
--Do you need to fold or staple in line? (utilizing the MFD)
--How important is copy/scan quality?
--Are you archiving or storing your scans/jobs some-where?
--Is that print/copy volume consistent over the month or are there large peaks? (one part of the week/month where most of that print/copy volume comes from)
--Are you scanning to email or the cloud?
--Is print security a priority? (People picking up the wrong jobs with private info....private customer/user info)
Is hard drive security an issue?

IMO I wouldn't buy a Konica, Sharp, Toshiba, or Kyocera they are garbage in terms of office MFDs.

If you want a good product buy a Canon, Xerox, or Ricoh (Lanier is a Ricoh box). BUT BUT BUT the biggest issue with copiers is service; make sure whatever vendor you use has multiple customer references in regards to their service. When your copier goes down you want them there fast.

I'm not in small format anymore (copiers) but I know the industry inside and out. The only fiscally healthy manufacturer right now is Canon and they invest 10% of their budget in R&D, NO other company does that.

DON'T purchase, lease the machine and do it for no more than 48 months. Most companies come out with updated models every 18-24 months. And make sure you negotiate a fixed service rate to match the term of your lease because all copier companies build in about a 15% increase in service cost year over year unless a customer is smart enough to negotiate a fixed rate.

forbanger

Established Member
Thanks for all the reply guys!!

Got two more days of meeting with sales people and we decide who we go with. Xerox is the last one.

We were really impressed by Sharp. Haven't heard of them since tv's but they seem to be very good products.

I have been reading everywhere that leasing is the best option. But with most of the quotes we were getting, buying them outright is way cheaper. Does that seem right?

Users who are viewing this thread