off topic...cleaning a LS2 intake manifold, need help.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Hey guys, a buddy gave me a LS2 intake manifold that I'm swaping on my 5.3 LS that's going into my 56 Ford F100. The LS2 motor it was off of was blown to hell, theres metal shavings, oil, and parts of pistons in the intake. The intake isn't damaged however, but its coated with oil so all the metal fragments are sticking to the inside of the runners and intake. Ive tried soaking it in hot soapy water, but that's not really helping. Would soaking it in mineral spirits hurt the plastic? I'm thinking it won't. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I would probably try soda-blasting it. But I don't think mineral spirits would hurt that type of plastic unless you let it soak forever.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Is the intake aluminum?

If it is try some brake or carb cleaner. Those products will eat through any grease or crud.

If it's plastic you may have to resort to GUNK Cleaner and a pressure washer.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Run a air compressor to shut off, hopefully 140 PSI, blast air through it with a blow gun.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
See if a local speed shop could hot tank it for you? Water solvent would help loosen up the gunk oily crud very well. I honestly love my safetykleen water solvent tank at work!

6.0GTO

Established Member
Is the intake aluminum?

If it is try some brake or carb cleaner. Those products will eat through any grease or crud.

If it's plastic you may have to resort to GUNK Cleaner and a pressure washer.

Right here. I cleaned my old GTO factory and FAST intake with brake cleaner. Works great. Rinsed with hot water when I was done.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
thanks for the help guys, the intake is plastic. I will try some brake cleaner when I get home this evening. Ready to get this project moving, its been a long process in the making!

Gravik

Established Member
I had my PI intake ran through a parts washer. Cleaned it up nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread