off road x-pipe

Eddie Z

Established Member
I would say either the Dr. X or bassani. I've heard both and they sound great.

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Is there really that much difference in midpipe sound? There might be small differences but the real debate is catted / uncatted as far as sound wise. Construction of the pipe may be a different topic as well.

zx3focus

Established Member
Yeah, the borla make the sound, doesnt matter what you have in the middle. Unless it is catted vs. o/r. Just get the cheapest one. It wont matter.

slayr281

all lurk and no play...
Established Member
zx3focus said:
Yeah, the borla make the sound, doesnt matter what you have in the middle. Unless it is catted vs. o/r. Just get the cheapest one. It wont matter.
exactly.

i stared off with a magnaflow catted x pipe, and after i blew a cat in that, i decided to get a bassani catted x pipe, same exact sound.

interestingly enough, the build quality was lower on the bassani. however, in its defense, it is five pieces, and i position everything exactly where it needed to be, which is important in a lowered car with a t-56.

which borla catback? i have the xr-1 which is a chambered muffler, and it drones real badly at 2-2500. might want to look into getting a straight through like a borla stinger, slp loudmouth 2, dynomax, or any other turbo muffler.

edit - this is what it'll sound like with jba shorties, bassani cat-x, and borla xr-1's - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=670939546

Last edited:

amorrow

Established Member
slayr281 said:
exactly.

i stared off with a magnaflow catted x pipe, and after i blew a cat in that, i decided to get a bassani catted x pipe, same exact sound.

interestingly enough, the build quality was lower on the bassani. however, in its defense, it is five pieces, and i position everything exactly where it needed to be, which is important in a lowered car with a t-56.

which borla catback? i have the xr-1 which is a chambered muffler, and it drones real badly at 2-2500. might want to look into getting a straight through like a borla stinger, slp loudmouth 2, dynomax, or any other turbo muffler.

edit - this is what it'll sound like with jba shorties, bassani cat-x, and borla xr-1's - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=670939546

Your Borlas are chambered? I thought all XR-1s are a multi-core, straight-through design...at least mine are.

Your car sounds good, but cats sure do tone things down a bit...going by the sound clip at least (I know it's sometimes hard to tell). My car has stock manifolds, but sounds much louder and more raspy (some my consider this a bad thing) with my O-R Bassani X.

Also, did Bassani change the design within the last few years (or maybe just on the catalytic Xs), for mine came pre-welded and in one piece and fit perfectly? It does suck that the Bassanis are 409 stainless instead of the superior 304, though.

Last edited:

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
deadlycobra03 said:
which off road x-pipe sounds best on a 97 cobra with a borla cat back. anyone have sound clips of theirs
Bassani, and I just happen to have one for sale.
Mark

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
KotnmthKng said:
Heres a clip of mine on the dyno. I think they are the XR-1's, but I'm not sure. They were on the car when I bought it. I have a Dr. Gas O/R X. I have changed the tips since this video and now it sounds even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUdVKZAEovY
wow that car sounds sickk!!!!...how much do the dr gas o/r x's run again?

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
KotnmthKng said:
Heres a clip of mine on the dyno. I think they are the XR-1's, but I'm not sure. They were on the car when I bought it. I have a Dr. Gas O/R X. I have changed the tips since this video and now it sounds even better.

THAT is the best video on YouTube. Thats the sound i've been trying to describe. Damn.

So, the consensus is that catted-X's are pretty much the same sound as stock H's? I've heard from a few people that their catted X-pipes dont change the sound much at all, until they cut the cats out. I was about to buy a catted X to change the sound, now it sounds like a mistake. How much different is it compared to an O/R X-pipe?

slayr281

all lurk and no play...
Established Member
amorrow said:
Your Borlas are chambered? I thought all XR-1s are a multi-core, straight-through design...at least mine are.

Your car sounds good, but cats sure do tone things down a bit...going by the sound clip at least (I know it's sometimes hard to tell). My car has stock manifolds, but sounds much louder and more raspy (some my consider this a bad thing) with my O-R Bassani X.

Also, did Bassani change the design within the last few years (or maybe just on the catalytic Xs), for mine came pre-welded and in one piece and fit perfectly? It does suck that the Bassanis are 409 stainless instead of the superior 304, though.
Well, I could be wrong on the chambered then, I haven't exactly cut them open.

As far as the cats go, removing catalytic convertors is a federal offense. Not that I'm anal or anything like that, but my car is too loud even WITH the cats. I do a lot of business on my cell phone, and it's very difficult to take calls with even the cats, top up or down. I don't know what the definition of raspy is, but regardless, I think mine sounds ****ing sexy. :rockon:

Interestingly enough, KotnmthKng, the second I loaded that video I recognized that you were at the Dyno Shop in Santee. Actually, I was just there today. I don't have the video on my computer, but my car sounded the exact same, and if you were there about a year ago when Tanner still manned the board, I was the guy that fired out the AF sensor, ruining it for everybody. With the t-56 and 3.27s on the built motor, I wanted to go to 7500 just for fun, but the dyno itself was redlining when I pulled 160 at about 6000.

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
KotnmthKng said:

that does sound bad ass, the long tubes add a distinct sound to it as well, as far as cats to no cats, I found a big difference in sound in it being much louder without them. I would either get the Dr. gas or Bassani.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It DOES matter what Xpipe you buy, as far as sound goes.
Different manufacturers put the "X" in different spots, therefore changing the sound tone.

Users who are viewing this thread