Off road X and Shelby AB

Turbo810

Established Member
Has anyone installed an off road X with Shelby axel backs?

I am thinking about doing this but I don't want any drone. So my question would be how much does it change at highway speeds?

Thanks in advance.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Has anyone installed an off road X with Shelby axel backs?

I am thinking about doing this but I don't want any drone. So my question would be how much does it change at highway speeds?

Thanks in advance.

I did cat deletes and gt500 ab's for a week before I couldn't stand it anymore and put the stock ab's back on. couldn't believe how loud it was considering how subtle the gt500s were with cats. drone over 2250 rpm and jet engine howl above 4000 rpm. I wouldn't let anyone ride with me besides my kids. stock ab's are perfect.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
yeah, but more power sans cats. I like the way this setup sounds too.

Turbo810

Established Member
I have a boss intake and Parnelli Jones Intake to go on it. And I will be getting an AED tune. So it should be ok. If I really need the power I'll just take the bike out. :)

2013-03-30_18-38-03_790_zpsd3d313bf.jpg

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have offroad x-pipe no resonators and gt500 ab and I think it sounds perfect. Loud when you want it to be quiet when you don't. I had american thunder ab before going catless and that with no cats is stupid loud. If you were closer I would give you a ride in my car. no drone on the highway, and after I tell anyone what I have done to the exhaust they say wow ita pretty quiet inside.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I have offroad x-pipe no resonators and gt500 ab and I think it sounds perfect. Loud when you want it to be quiet when you don't. I had american thunder ab before going catless and that with no cats is stupid loud. If you were closer I would give you a ride in my car. no drone on the highway, and after I tell anyone what I have done to the exhaust they say wow ita pretty quiet inside.

what is your rear end gear? I think part of my problem is 3.73s.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks running the O/R X pipe with the GT500 mufflers is loud. Sounds good and is fairly quiet on the highway, but loud when you give it throttle.. I just bought some stock mufflers hoping to calm the the thunder down.

Turbo810

Established Member

I wish I was closer as well. I had a set of American thunders on for a day. I couldn't take the drone. So I ordered the GT500s.

BPatterson

Established Member
Lol I'm getting old as well....36 to be exact. The GT500's just didn't do it for me. I swapped to a set of Magnaflow Street ab's. They'll be here in a couple of days.

keoni1984

Established Member
I originally just had the Roush AB's and the sound was perfect. I threw on a Magnaflow 3" O/R X and it was ungodly loud. I liked it, but thought my retired neighbors wouldn't have felt the same way so I put the stock AB's on and it just sounded pathetic to me... so I put the Roush back on. If I didn't do the turbo setup, I probably would have swapped the Roush for some GT500 AB's with the O/R X. I think that's a good compromise between sound and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread