Off Road/Daily Driver Beater Under 6,000

Hostlntent

Established Member
I'd have to agree with Jetmech with a ZR2 Blazer; those 4.3 liters are pretty dependable as well. I've had two; well one awesomely modified 4runner with a chevy 4.3 that took me through some awesome trails in the mountains and even survived a slight rollover lol "rock crawlin" however currently using a ZR2 Blazer for my winter vehicle. Its nice and sporty, has a higher stance than what the regular blazers came with and best of all its something that suffices in stock form. I wanted something that I wouldn't be tempted to to make it into another money pit by adding all sorts of mods etc in turn taking away $ from future Cobra mods lol.

1badd89

Established Member
Love my ZJ.
5.2, AWD, in bumper to bumper, and have averaged 15.3 and even in factory trim was a great mud rig

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
XJ Cherokee. It will go anywhere you ever want to go. 4.0 will run forever. Mine has a 3" lift on 31's and I avg 15-17mpg depending on how I drive.

/thread

Agreed. Don't know why people keep asking this question when XJ is always the answer. A Tacoma would be awesome too, but good luck finding one for under $6k. I picked up my '98 XJ a few years back for $5k and it was spotless with a 3" lift and 32's, 92k miles.

Are certain years better than others? I've been thinking about something like this to take the wife/kids to some off-road parks and being able to use it as an extra vehicle is a big plus.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
XJ or Explorer.

You can get a nice running explorer for half your budget. Mine gets 17 mpg, once when I was easy on it I saw 19mpg.

They don't really make enough power to hurt themselves and they don't have the Ranger tax. All parts are plentiful and it's probably the least expensive vehicle to lift 1.5" or so.

alicecooper

Established Member
Don't forget about the 85-94 4runners with the 22RE. 1985 with EFI would be best, but good luck finding one unmolested. That way if you want to run 33's and lock/posi the rear, you don't have to worry about that weak ass Dana 35 the XJ's have, but you give up the power of the 4.0 liter. DO NOT get a 3.0 V6 4runner, they're horrible. You can fit some 31's on a stock runner, shackles and ball joint spacers (IFS) would net around 2" of lift which is enough for 33's. 22RE = bullet proof, trans = bullet proof, t-case = bullet proof. But I understand if you want something without a frame :), though XJ's are a good choice lol they're dime a dozen.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Thanks for all the info so far guys!

Has anyone in here driven both the XJ & any form of Wranglers? How off road worthy are wranglers stock?

dynasty_v6

Established Member
Are certain years better than others? I've been thinking about something like this to take the wife/kids to some off-road parks and being able to use it as an extra vehicle is a big plus.

The early 1999 are regarded to the best as it still has the High Pinion Front axle, better intake manifold, and does not have the head cracking issue of later years.

Try to get one with a 8.25 rear end, it is nearly as strong as the Dana 44.

McQueen5.0

Established Member
My daily 5.3L procharged ls9 cam and long tube headers hp tune nothing better than a lifted fright train as a daily **** mpg's
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

NastyNate420

Established Member
Ive had my 91 Yj Wrangler forever and its very capable stock! I love my YJ but you want to fit 4 comfortable and the yj is like having another mustang in regards to the back seat. Id say XJ would be best for you. Xterras and 4 runners are good trucks as well but i dont know if they are in your price range

MachJoe

Established Member
I bought a 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 for $2000. It had 180k miles on it and ran like a champ. Everything was perfect minus the paint. Sold it last year, and I'm now regretting it.

Can't go wrong with a XJ either though.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

97-98 are generally the best. High pinion front axle and still have cap/rotor ignition (instead of potentially problematic coil on plug).

I really like XJ's, but I like Wranglers and CJs more. How would the two compare?

What year wrangler. CJ's are old, leaf springs all around and will probably ride like crap. YJ's are basically the same. TJ's have coil springs all around for good flex front and rear. XJ's have coils up front for good flex and traction, but leafs in the rear for better stability when offroading and towing, kind of the best of both worlds.

Wranglers are going to cost you a LOT more than a comparable XJ. You'll never have to worry about a leaky/cracked top with an XJ, much better for inclement weather I'd say. Offroading, the TJ has way more mods available, but with just mild upgrades, they can both go through just about anything.

I bought my 98 about 7 years ago now, super clean with a lift, tires and 92k miles for $5k.

IMG_3327.jpg

Did some upgrades and wheeling

3" lift and 32s, trimmed fenders and removable doors
IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

4.5" lift now

11-15-09265.jpg

4-28-09032.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02014.jpg

Then 35's, still used for road trips to the beach though.

IMAG0078.jpg

OBX2010131.jpg

photobucket-5507-1313781073758.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

032.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Last edited:

Sn95Snake

Established Member
All right thanks for all of the info so far guys.

As of right now it looks like I will be going with either a YJ or TJ depending on which I find, with XJ as a backup if we can't find any suitable YJ or TJs. The girlfriend and I have been talking about it for the last couple days and she really wants something where we can take the top off and have a good time.

Gravik

Established Member
97-98 are generally the best. High pinion front axle and still have cap/rotor ignition (instead of potentially problematic coil on plug).

What year wrangler. CJ's are old, leaf springs all around and will probably ride like crap. YJ's are basically the same. TJ's have coil springs all around for good flex front and rear. XJ's have coils up front for good flex and traction, but leafs in the rear for better stability when offroading and towing, kind of the best of both worlds.

Wranglers are going to cost you a LOT more than a comparable XJ. You'll never have to worry about a leaky/cracked top with an XJ, much better for inclement weather I'd say. Offroading, the TJ has way more mods available, but with just mild upgrades, they can both go through just about anything.

I bought my 98 about 7 years ago now, super clean with a lift, tires and 92k miles for $5k.

IMG_3327.jpg

Did some upgrades and wheeling

3" lift and 32s, trimmed fenders and removable doors
IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

4.5" lift now

11-15-09265.jpg

4-28-09032.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02014.jpg

Then 35's, still used for road trips to the beach though.

IMAG0078.jpg

OBX2010131.jpg

photobucket-5507-1313781073758.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

032.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Your 32's look huge compared to my 31's. What tire?

Users who are viewing this thread