Off Duty Arrests

00streetfighter

Established Member
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/scranton-police-file-grievance-after-chief-makes-off-duty-arrest-1.1134453

Scranton police file grievance after chief makes off-duty arrest | The TexasFred Blog

While I believe that unless its an extreme emergency or something involving your immediate family, you should call in crimes and be a good witness, not take enforcement action.

However, I commend the Chief for stepping up and doing his part to clean up the community. Maybe he just had enough of being admin and not out their with the troops?

While I do support off duty actions, because after all, we may be off duty we are never off watch, the politics in this case are absurd. Just my .02 :shrug:

EDIT: I'm open for discussion (even from no LEO).. However, I'm over the cop bashing in the donut shop.. I want your guys thoughts and opinions, lets just keep it tasteful.

Last edited:

Fire_Hazard

Non LEO here, that is a load of crap in IMHO. The politics are horrible. The chief was doing his civic duty. It sounds like the union had no problem with the chief doing his job but attacks the city for not stopping him from doing his job because that was not in his job description. This is whats wrong with society and why people put there heads down and shuffle through life. They fear if they do step up and try to make a difference they will be sued. Total hogwash.

00streetfighter

Established Member
Non LEO here, that is a load of crap in IMHO. The politics are horrible. The chief was doing his civic duty. It sounds like the union had no problem with the chief doing his job but attacks the city for not stopping him from doing his job because that was not in his job description. This is whats wrong with society and why people put there heads down and shuffle through life. They fear if they do step up and try to make a difference they will be sued. Total hogwash.

I agree. It is his civil duty. While I belong to a police union, I can not support their opinion. I belong to a great union, where protecting the community is priority number one.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i made my two best arrests while off duty. one of them ended up in a officer of the year award.

the other, i got a certificate of recognition and a merit award.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
What were they for?

They were internet crimes. One was for some dude posting absurd pics of his wife on some forum and the other was this other dude that posted some unknown hot chick's pic on the net and claiming she was his gf.

buh-bump-ding!

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
What were they for?

early saturday morning, me and the wife took her expedition to sears to have some tires put on. i was driving behind her in my lightning. as we pulled up to sears and get out of the cars....we hear a woman screaming "hes got a gun, he stole my purse HELP!"...this guy goes running by me with the purse in his hand, i saw no gun. mean while the old woman is still screaming. my wife excitedly yells, "KRIS DO SOMETHING"....so, i chase the guy down the main strip...he runs faster than me. i am in sandals, a hawaiian shirt and bermuda shorts...while i am giving chase, i am yelling sheriff's office and for him to stop...he does not. we ran about 75 yards or so and i see my lightning go blaring past me with the wife driving. the bad guy runs up into a furniture store parking lot...my wife turns in and cuts in front of him with the lightning, nearly hitting him. he runs into the right Q-panal and drops....i wrestle with him for a while and he is extremely non complaint. he is yelling at me that he is a undercover officer and chasing the same guy that i am....still i am trying to gain control over him. he probably had 30 pounds on me. my wife gets out of my lightning with a phone cord and hog ties his legs, then hands. about that time, 2 police cruisers pull in...i knew them both from rookie school.

so, they took him to the jail and i had to tag along and tell the magistrate what had happened. ( remembered how i am dressed)-- he was charged with resist, robbery, impersonating a law enforcement officer and a few other small things. this was his 3rd strike.

at the awards banquet, when i was called up...they also called my wife up and gave her the award also.

situation 2

sunday afternoon, helping a friend move. he had a small apartment that he rents to some real winners. behind that apartment was a small storage shed. he needed to get into the storage shed to get a dolly for moving heavy boxes. we noticed the lock on the shed was broken and inside...things were missing including financial records of his business. i noticed someone filming us from inside the apartment through the back door window. strange...we decided to call the sheriff to take a report. while waiting...i went and knocked on the door and asked if they knew anything about the shed being broke into. they told me no and slammed the door. i didnt tell them who i was....

2 minutes later...the mother and young daughter came running outside with a large trash bag and headed for the car...i pulled out my badge and identified myself and told them they could not leave....they wanted to see my ID because they said the badge was a fake....right at this time...a white crown vic pulls up...but it isnt the sheriff. its the renters probation officer doing a random home visit. what are the chances? anyway...in NC probation officers can conduct warrantless searches. i identify myself to the officer, tell them what is happening and the officer decides to perform a search....he finds check washing material in the trash bag they they tried to flee with. also hundreds of old checks from my friends business they had cleaned to reuse. he also found a drivers license in my friends name, but with the renters picture along with credit cards...and all kinds of property from inside the shed.

as the renter was being arrested, he said that a neighbor had asked him to hold onto all that stuff for him....LOL. again, that was his 3rd strike. he got 12 years out of it if i remember right.

i swear i got into more stuff off duty, than i ever did while on.....expect for the homosexual prostitution stings we did....we all had to take turns being the bait...that was uncomfortable.

They were internet crimes. One was for some dude posting absurd pics of his wife on some forum and the other was this other dude that posted some unknown hot chick's pic on the net and claiming she was his gf.

buh-bump-ding!

that was me posting the pics.

ba-da dum!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
early saturday morning, me and the wife took her expedition to sears to have some tires put on. i was driving behind her in my lightning. as we pulled up to sears and get out of the cars....we hear a woman screaming "hes got a gun, he stole my purse HELP!"...this guy goes running by me with the purse in his hand, i saw no gun. mean while the old woman is still screaming. my wife excitedly yells, "KRIS DO SOMETHING"....so, i chase the guy down the main strip...he runs faster than me. i am in sandals, a hawaiian shirt and bermuda shorts...while i am giving chase, i am yelling sheriff's office and for him to stop...he does not. we ran about 75 yards or so and i see my lightning go blaring past me with the wife driving. the bad guy runs up into a furniture store parking lot...my wife turns in and cuts in front of him with the lightning, nearly hitting him. he runs into the right Q-panal and drops....i wrestle with him for a while and he is extremely non complaint. he is yelling at me that he is a undercover officer and chasing the same guy that i am....still i am trying to gain control over him. he probably had 30 pounds on me. my wife gets out of my lightning with a phone cord and hog ties his legs, then hands. about that time, 2 police cruisers pull in...i knew them both from rookie school.

so, they took him to the jail and i had to tag along and tell the magistrate what had happened. ( remembered how i am dressed)-- he was charged with resist, robbery, impersonating a law enforcement officer and a few other small things. this was his 3rd strike.

at the awards banquet, when i was called up...they also called my wife up and gave her the award also.

situation 2

sunday afternoon, helping a friend move. he had a small apartment that he rents to some real winners. behind that apartment was a small storage shed. he needed to get into the storage shed to get a dolly for moving heavy boxes. we noticed the lock on the shed was broken and inside...things were missing including financial records of his business. i noticed someone filming us from inside the apartment through the back door window. strange...we decided to call the sheriff to take a report. while waiting...i went and knocked on the door and asked if they knew anything about the shed being broke into. they told me no and slammed the door. i didnt tell them who i was....

2 minutes later...the mother and young daughter came running outside with a large trash bag and headed for the car...i pulled out my badge and identified myself and told them they could not leave....they wanted to see my ID because they said the badge was a fake....right at this time...a white crown vic pulls up...but it isnt the sheriff. its the renters probation officer doing a random home visit. what are the chances? anyway...in NC probation officers can conduct warrantless searches. i identify myself to the officer, tell them what is happening and the officer decides to perform a search....he finds check washing material in the trash bag they they tried to flee with. also hundreds of old checks from my friends business they had cleaned to reuse. he also found a drivers license in my friends name, but with the renters picture along with credit cards...and all kinds of property from inside the shed.

as the renter was being arrested, he said that a neighbor had asked him to hold onto all that stuff for him....LOL. again, that was his 3rd strike. he got 12 years out of it if i remember right.

i swear i got into more stuff off duty, than i ever did while on.....expect for the homosexual prostitution stings we did....we all had to take turns being the bait...that was uncomfortable.

that was me posting the pics.

ba-da dum!

Sounds like your off duty life as a crap magnet dude! And I don't recall you posting pics of Lobra's wife. Must've missed those. The HG situation turned out to be a riot!

tistan

Established Member

Is this a joke or for real?

It is pretty cool that your wife got in on the action.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member

no, its very real.

there is a section of the blue rige parkway that is famous for homosexual prostitution. there are even websites dedicated to it.

twice a year, we set up stings there with several agencies. sheriff, police, park rangers and a few others. if you were on one of the response teams, then you were automatically volunteered to be the "bait". its not as bad as it sounds. you dont have to dress like a homo....just dress normal. blend in. you wore a wire and always worked in teams. you would sit in a car, or on a bench...you would never entrap anyone. just wait to be approached. it never took long.

someone would always walk up. they dont look gay. they look normal. one of my turns me and this ranger who was black ( and a rookie ) were sitting on a park bench at an over look. we were approached by an older fella, late 50's. we casually talked and he asked us to walk down this trail with him. so, we did. we knew we couldnt go to far out of range of the audio tranmitter. about 50 feet we all stopped and he started talking rude. I asked what he wanted and he blatently replied " i want to watch you suck his black ****". when he offered money, we identified ourselves and placed him under arrest. took him to the command post and did it again. this went on for 3 days.

he was a surgeon from new hamshire, here on vacation with his wife, and 15 year old son. after interrogation, he came here specifically for this location.

later that day, we also arrested a retired methodist preacher.

Last edited:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Do other officers here actively look for criminals on their day off?

Shouldn't you call it in when you receive a complaint on your day off because of things like this?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Do other officers here actively look for criminals on their day off?

Shouldn't you call it in when you receive a complaint on your day off because of things like this?

i never did. sometimes shit happens right in front of you. if we didnt act...some idiot would say..." why didnt you do anything"

i ran up on two teens in a porsche..one like adam used to have ( or still has )...on a rural road while off duty. just coming home from a friends house. they were broke down. i could see liquid coming from under the car. i was in plain clothes....they seemd intoxicated and very young. in my opnion, to young to be driving. i had my radio and called in the tag and it came back stolen. as i walked back to them, i pulled my badge out and they ran. I swear to god this is a true story....you cant make this shit up. I call it in that they ran from me and the direction they went. an off duty patrol sgt lived about 1/2 mile away and guess where they went....you guessed it. the sgt heard me on his scanner and went out side and ran into the boys. they didnt see the unmarked car in his garage. they told the man that a cop was chasing them and if they could hide....he placed them into custody....they were 14 and 15 years old. stole the car from a neighbor who was on vacation. they ran the car so hard the transmission broke down and parts fell out.

sometimes you are just at the right spot at the right time.

Last edited:

joeg215

Established Member
i never did. sometimes shit happens right in front of you. if we didnt act...some idiot would say..." why didnt you do anything"

Yeah If its a reaction like what your encounters were (which btw your wife sounds bad ass :rockon: lol) I can understand it. But in this case, the chief was tipped off about drug activity in a certain area. It seems odd to me that the he would go pursue it while off duty instead of calling it in. He's done it several times.

Edit: Man you get into a lot of off-duty beef. lol

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Yeah If its a reaction like what your encounters were (which btw your wife sounds bad ass :rockon: lol) I can understand it. But in this case, the chief was tipped off about drug activity in a certain area. It seems odd to me that the he would go pursue it while off duty instead of calling it in. He's done it several times.

she was bad asss...during the good years. then she turned in to a cheating depressed phsyco bitch from hell.

my first thought is that his intentions were not ethical. perhaps he wanted to get his hands on some money.

joeg215

Established Member
she was bad asss...during the good years. then she turned in to a cheating depressed phsyco bitch from hell.

my first thought is that his intentions were not ethical. perhaps he wanted to get his hands on some money.

Shit. Sorry to hear that.

Interesting.

ModularFan

Established Member

I am surprised you didn't get in trouble for using your police radio while off duty. that's a big no no in some departments.

Spectragod

Established Member

Real deal, had this kinda shit happen to me as well. One time, we arrested a on duty detective from a large nearby city (we were just out of his town but within radio range), he propositioned a park ranger in the restroom @ the park, when he was told he was under arrest, he informed us that he couldn't be, because he was a detective, and on duty.

Some of the craziest shit happens when your off-duty......

da2k17

Established Member
google corruption in lackawanna and luzerne counties, the police here are no different than the politicians.

thats not a bash at the police, im in the process of entering the state police academy, its just to show how things are done around here.

as for this particular case if he saw something he should have acted but i dont think he should be out investing complaints while off duty, that just doesnt seem right.

Users who are viewing this thread