off center rear normal?

pony23

Established Member
I noticed that the rear of my car sits back past center. The pinion angle is right on. Car has FR3 suspension kit, lowering brackets, Shelby lower arms, Shelby adjustable upper arm, and a watts link. Does this look normal?

null_zpsb33ff77c.jpg

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Yes it is normal. As the suspension compresses, the axle will move towards the center. At full compression it is centered.

pony23

Established Member
The tire is fine. Just wondering about the stop. I get less suspension travel with it located on the downward part of the notch.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Is the suspension unloaded? When the axle swings down it also pivots to the rear as it is doing in your picture. If you load the suspension and look again through the wheel i bet it will be very near center.

pony23

Established Member
Yes the suspension is loaded in the picture. I have about 1/2" to 3/4" of travel till it hits the stop.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Very odd, with that much rotation in the bump stops i would think the pinion angle would be in the positive and not negative range. Is the axle on jackstands? It looks like the wheel is off the car. Unless its completly level on all 4 wheels then its causing articulation in the suspension. Maybe try with the car on the ground?

NuclearPower

Established Member
Do you have the smaller (shorter) bump stops installed or are those the original ones? With the FR3 you should have the shorter ones installed, or cut the tops off.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Cut the top nipple off the bump stops with a razor blade and you'll be good to go. Honestly, that looks like your pinion angle is off more than it looks like the rear is out of alignment. It looks like the rear is tilted back. If you have an adjustable upper, double check your pinion angle. You need to take the measurement from the transmission AND the pinion housing, not just the pinion housing. I think there's a how to thread on checking and setting the correct angle if your not sure how to do it.

pony23

Established Member
nuclear- those are the stops that ford recommends for the kit. I put them on over the winter
Pistol- Yes, the rear is in its proper spot just turned so the stops are back. I also have a one piece drive shaft. I can recheck the pinion angle again but I thought it was correct.

Users who are viewing this thread