oem balancer or innovative west

terminator1

Established Member
i am finishing my build and don't know if its ok to use my stock balancer, my build consists of diamond pistons, 2.3 whipple with 3.0 pulley, stage 2 comp cams, stage 3 snow performance meth kit, billet gear oil pump. i want 650 hp but we will see, will the stock oem balancer work or do i need to get the innovative west balancer for our cars. also not sure what belt size i will need for the whipple. thanks for any help you can give me.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You can use the stock lower, but you will not be able to change the lower pulley size without a complete Metco lower kit. Also, the stock balancer is not SFI approved, so if you race at a track that abides by NHRA rules and your car runs within the time bracket requiring SFI balancers, then you will need the Innovators West regardless.

The 2.3L will be able to make the power you want, but it's not going to do it with a 3.00" upper and stock lower. You will need at the very least, a 2.75" upper with the stock lower, and that will probably net you around 620-630 rwhp.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, do the Innovators balancer with the Metco adapter, Metco lower crank idler relocation (required with IW balancer and Metco adapter) and add a 2-4 lb lower ring with the 3.00" upper, that will get you the power you want and you'll be SFI approved for the future.

Let us know if we can assist you with any of this!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread