Oem 99 CD player to a 94 swap issues help

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Guys, I recently just sold my OEM 99 cobra CD player to somebody with a 1994 mustang. He said his previous CD player did not work or the cd would not come out which is typical so I sold him mine which is a simple plug-and-play which he did and he says my CD player does not turn on which I know it works perfectly fine. What do you think this could be? I said it might be something with your wiring n my next question is there does not have to be any re-programming does there once you put another mustang OEM radio in from another year?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would guess it's the factory harness. While the plugs are similar between the years the pin outs changed a lot. So chances are things changed from SN95 to New Edge.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I would guess it's the factory harness. While the plugs are similar between the years the pin outs changed a lot. So chances are things changed from SN95 to New Edge.

So what would I need to do to put a 99 cobra cd player in a 94 Mustang? Is there a harness I can buy off eBay or what not or any link would help for exactly what I need to do. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You would need the radio pinout of the 94 and 99 radios, as well as the pinout of the 94 and 99 harnesses. Then you would need to figure out which wires need to be repinned to which harness etc.
Basically, you are much better off finding a 94-95 radio (probably 96-98 as well, but I can't confirm)

52merc

Established Member
In all likelihood the wires use the same colour codes. You can probably just match them up. If you don't want to mess with the factory wiring you can buy the connectors from Metra and make up your own short adapter harness.

Users who are viewing this thread