Odometer & Speedometer ??

Billy

Established Member
I've go a 94 Cobra and for some reason my speedometer + odometer just stopped working for a little bit. It's working now but what exactly controls these. Mechanical, electrical? If it's mechanical and from what I hear it's a rare thing to happen to a car. What's really making me wonder is maybe the previous owner tampered with it and now it's failing due to not resetting it correctly !! If anyone can give me some advise it would be greatly appreciated.... I bought it off a dealer so if odometer tampering is the case, I'll have a nice case !!!!!!!!

:confused:

Thanks Billy

Dyno

Established Member
I have a 95 Cobra and I pulled the guage cluster out. The speedo is electric. Check the trans and see if the sending unit wires have a bad or loose connection.

Keith

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
On my 94 cobra both the speedo and odometer quit working together and would work again like you explained. Then I took it to the track and half way down the speedo and odometer quit all together. It was the damn speedo gear that is on the left side of the tranny, that controls the speedo and odometer. It's the same gear you have to change when you get gears. It's an easy fix if thats the problem, hardest part would be jacking the car up.
hope this helps.
later
john

Billy

Established Member
I found out on my 94 that when I blow a fuse for my Radio,Interior Lights,Clock, ect. my speedo and odemeter stop working all together, pretty wierd hah!! Now I have to figure out why I'm blowing so many fuses.. Could be the new radio I got recently.. Thanks for the posts guys !!

Billy

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
I was gonna say, check the plastic speedo gear in the tranny.

I was thinking that too. I didn't think that the radio fuse controlled anything other than illumination? :confused: Since the speedo is electricla getting the signal from the tranny it doesn't seem logical that a radio fuse would affect this unless the radio was wired in wrong? Perhaps it keeps blowing fuses because it is getting double feeds. One from the illumination group and one from the actual speedo wire from the tranny? That is about the onlt thing that I can maybe see hapening? 'Course weirder things have happened ;) Let us know if you get it straight and what exactly the cause was OK. Thanks :)

OOOHH!!!! WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!!!

Billy

Established Member
Guys,
What your saying is that when I blow a fuse for the radio,door chime,interior lights,ect that I shouldn't be losing the speedometer & Odometer funtions. I'll have the mech check this out asap.Heres a good one for ya, the book that comes with the Cobra says that I should be using a 10amp fuse in the one that keeps blowing,(Well it's only been 5 times and it doesn't blow one after another it sometimes takes a day or so to blow) what I'm trying to say here is when I put a 15 amp in to replace it, just in case the new radio needs alittle more kick, It keeps blowing too.. What do you guys think is causing this and for the life of me I can't get it to blow when I want. It seems to blow when I start the car and drive alittle then I notice the radio is not working. I know this is hard to answer but if anyone ever had this problem any help would be appreciated.....:)

Thanks
Billy

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Billy
I found out on my 94 that when I blow a fuse for my Radio,Interior Lights,Clock, ect. my speedo and odemeter stop working all together, pretty wierd hah!! Now I have to figure out why I'm blowing so many fuses.. Could be the new radio I got recently.. Thanks for the posts guys !!

Billy

Who installed the radio? It sounds like it may have been wired up a little wrong to me if you weren't having this problem before.

Billy

Established Member
I had a local radio shop do it for me, I am having them replace the radio for troubleshooting purposes since I am running out of money for Fuses,haha...I'll let you know what happens!!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Hold them accountable if there is any damage to your speedometer/odometer. If they installed it , they screwed it up. Contact your lawyer if they don't want to make tit right.

stylin99

Established Member
Speaking from experience, a lot of times when a fuse blows like that and it's related to the radio, you may have a bare wire or metal wire connector touching something metal in your dash. Since you say it only happens when you start it up and drive around, it is probably a wire banging around on something metal. Have the installers to go back and check for a bare connection.

not sure about the speedo going out. I DO know that on 2 previous Rangers (94 & 95) I owned, you could pull a certain fuse, and it would kill the Speedometer/Odometer so it is possible it's the same on the Mustangs. Especially since both the Mustang and the Rangers of that time period both had the plastic gear on the tranny. :D
Fix the radio short and you might fix this too.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Hey Steve glad to see you in here! Hate we didn't make Shadyside the other night. It looked like one heck of a storm was coming though huh? Give me and/or Mike a call when you see this , we might be ZR1 hunting :D

Users who are viewing this thread