Oddly Specific Burnout Question- Florida

rktsci25

Established Member
Through reading the past postings, I am fairly certain I could get the reckless driving ticket for this but, worth a shot:

So, a company that I am volunteering with has a long term lease on a building owned by my school. The building is airport adjacent so no noise complaints will be happening. The company is having a grand opening party in a few weeks, and the owners have said that I am more than welcome to christen their pavement to my hearts content.

I am going to hope Florida lost its mind and this is somehow legal as I have a set of almost new scrap tires I want to try and sign my initials with.

Synopsis:
Private Fenced in Property
No need to worry about noise complaints (The company tests jet engines, they picked the spot for a reason)
Owners are completely ok with it

*Crosses Fingers and hopes for some fenced in property clause or something random*

Thanks in Advance,
Stephen

oldmodman

Established Member
Get written permission from the property owner or lessee and lock the gate.

And do it somewhere you can't be seen from a public area.

00streetfighter

Established Member
I can only speak for CA, not sure of FL, but...... As CA sees it, if the road is open to the public AND maintained by public funds... Then the vehicle code applies.. If not then... Burnouts FTW! (however there is a special section for parking lots). So I say go for it and make sure to post vids!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
ehhh I'm just guessing but I think Florida Statute 316.192(1)(a) Reckless Driving, may apply. (and that's a criminal conviction) I don't see it differentiating between roads and private property.

Again, just a guess with no experience in FL law, but I wouldn't recommend it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Get written permission from the property owner or lessee and lock the gate.

I can only speak for CA, not sure of FL, but...... As CA sees it, if the road is open to the public AND maintained by public funds... Then the vehicle code applies.. If not then... Burnouts FTW! (however there is a special section for parking lots). So I say go for it and make sure to post vids!

ehhh I'm just guessing but I think Florida Statute 316.192(1)(a) Reckless Driving, may apply. (and that's a criminal conviction) I don't see it differentiating between roads and private property.

Again, just a guess with no experience in FL law, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As noted above, as with most states, reckless driving is a criminal offense. Criminal traffic offenses can be cited anywhere they occur, even on private property.

OP you run a risk of being arrested for reckless driving, but considering the circumstances you describe I wouldn't be too worried about it. I would be worried about people getting too close to your vehicle while it is spinning and them getting hurt.

rktsci25

Established Member

Ha! That'll be impossible. The most ironic part of this is that the county sheriffs park all of their extra stuff across the street. It's not manned, otherwise I wouldn't consider it.

This isn't even a parking lot! It's a wide slab of concrete in front of the shop bay doors. Taking over an old county bus depot=brilliant decision. Between the slab and the road is completely unpaved (gravel). I am not worried about getting tagged for doing it on public road.

Daytona Beach FTW!!! Sorry my post wasnt constructive... But Daytona Beach is awesome.

You clearly haven't been here recently.

As noted above, as with most states, reckless driving is a criminal offense. Criminal traffic offenses can be cited anywhere they occur, even on private property.

OP you run a risk of being arrested for reckless driving, but considering the circumstances you describe I wouldn't be too worried about it. I would be worried about people getting too close to your vehicle while it is spinning and them getting hurt.

It's a motorsports company, so it wouldn't be the first rodeo for the attendees. I'd like to think they'd know to give space. (Stupid assumption I'm aware).

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
no one can write you a permission slip to break the law. private property or not.

its A risk, you may get caught, you may not.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If I am not mistaken, part of the proof for a reckless driving conviction is " knowingly and willingly endangering the public or property of another".

IMO, if you're or a slab, and no persons are within an unsafe distance, and you have written permission from the property owner, I don't think your scenario would be any different than doing a burnout at a dragstrip prior to a run.

If I were an LEO in your area, and saw you doing this under said mentioned conditions, I'd give you a high five, comandeer your ride, and show you how to do a real burnout! :rockon:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Have a funny story for you on this topic ....

Lets say a mustang club had a photo shoot and decided to do it on a vacant business type road that was built, but no businesses ever opened on it, so it was just dirt lots surrounding the road. Anyway we all pull into this road and as everyone is doing a uturn they are doing all kinds of stupid/fun shit like burnouts or even one person did a turning burnout lol. That was fun to watch. Ok anywho we all line up and all the sudden this sherriff comes up from behind us ........ LOL OH SHIT! Guess he was back there napping or something and no one seen him until it was all over hah.

As it turns out he just happened to be there for whatever reason and was really cool about it. He even knew one of the club members personally and told him to do a burnout. So here was this crazy ass doing the most awsome burnout ive ever seen in front of a cop on a public road. After that some city police and sherriffs show up because I guess someone called them on us. And they end up just kinda talking and bsing lol.

Anyway I guess the moral of the story is it depends on where you are and the cops you might be dealing with.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Ha! That'll be impossible. The most ironic part of this is that the county sheriffs park all of their extra stuff across the street. It's not manned, otherwise I wouldn't consider it.
It's a motorsports company, so it wouldn't be the first rodeo for the attendees. I'd like to think they'd know to give space. (Stupid assumption I'm aware).

OP, you know you're gonna do it :burnout:! Either post video of the positive results in pics n vids section :rockon: or make another thread in here asking for defense recommendations if you get caught! :lol:

Good luck, be safe. If for some reason you do get busted just remember to be respectful throughout. :beer:

rktsci25

Established Member
If I were an LEO in your area, and saw you doing this under said mentioned conditions, I'd give you a high five, comandeer your ride, and show you how to do a real burnout! :rockon:

Challenge Accepted? Though this is a BYOR Party.

OP, you know you're gonna do it :burnout:! Either post video of the positive results in pics n vids section :rockon: or make another thread in here asking for defense recommendations if you get caught! :lol:
:

This is true, and you know you can't think of a better way to dispose of a set of Riken's. They are useless on a decent car. The videos shall be posted. Timeframe should be in the next month. Depends on how quickly we get the shop ready. *grumbles and puts down computer and picks up paint brush*

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Challenge Accepted? Though this is a BYOR Party.

This is true, and you know you can't think of a better way to dispose of a set of Riken's. They are useless on a decent car. The videos shall be posted. Timeframe should be in the next month. Depends on how quickly we get the shop ready. *grumbles and puts down computer and picks up paint brush*

I will agree that a set a Riken's are useless, but they are still better than Sumitomo's. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread