Odd noise

rage_svt

Established Member
So I just recently bought a 04 Cobra. Everything is great with the car so far, but when I’m driving on the freeway around 75-80mph there is a high pitched wine coming from the motor. It’s not super loud, but if you had the radio off, you would have to talk to try to talk over it. Plus it has this high pitched pierce your ears tone to it, so turning off the radio isn't a great idea. A crack of the window and a few turns of the radio drown it out so you can’t hear it. I know coming from the motor cause as soon as I let off the gas, the noise goes away, as soon as I hold the gas back down to hold my speed (or have the cruise control on) it comes back. It doesn’t matter if I’m in 5th or 6th. The car is around 2k rpm’s and doesn’t do this at lower gears at the same rpm. When I’m cruising at 60, you really can’t notice it at all. Is there something wrong with my new baby? Any idea’s what this could be? The car runs strong and doesn't have any weird sounds at any other times. This is the only cobra I've ever driven, so I have no idea if this is normal or not. Any help would be great. Thank you.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Are you positive it's coming from the engine? A pinion or carrier bearing could cause that. (even the ring and pinion) Once you let off the throttle, you remove the load and the noise stops. The only other thing I can think of would be a vacuum leak you're hearing...but I would guess you would hear that with rpm, not speed.

rage_svt

Established Member
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure it's the motor, just seems to be coming that way, or right below me. Guess it sounds like it's safe to say that this noise it not normal huh? Guess she's making a stop at the ford dealer, damn I really hope I didn't buy a lemon or something. She only has 13k on her. If anyone else has any idea's before I take her to ford, please let me know! Thanks a bunch again.

rage_svt

Established Member
Well I've done a bunch of searching around, and I guess a few others have had this problem. I guess some people have a vibe to go along with the nosie, luckly (or unluckly) I don't seem to have that. By what I've read, a new D/S may or may not lessen the noise, but it really sounds like I'm going to end up just dealing with it. I'll swing by the dealer and see if I can land a fix. I find it kind of funny coming from a SRT-4, I always saw these cars as unstoppable, bullet proof monsters. I guess the reality is every car has their set of issues and problems. I’m sure most of you already knew that, just wanted to say it in case there are any other slow minded folks like myself out there.

Users who are viewing this thread