Odd clutch question, please help

Fanged03

Established Member
Acquired a wrecked 99 with some passenger side front damage. Needed to be put on a frame straightner and new radiator support and apron. When we got it the motor was taken out by a body shop to do an estimate. So everything was just kinda slapped back together. Now the car is fixed everything back together correctly, except maybe the trans/clutch. Car runs fine, however. My dad put in a new clutch and we put the trans in went to drive it. While the car is running you can not easily put it into gear like you should be able to. The flywheel had 8 thou taken off with no shims. So if anything the cable should need adjustment. When the pedal is pulled back it makes a loud bang noise. Still unable to shift while car is running. Seems like the clutch is not totally disengaged. Put it up on jackstands and the tires rotate when the clutch is completely depressed and you try to put it into gear. You can try to push it into gear and the tires rotate. Is it possible the clutch plate was put in backwards? I would think we would hear some god awful noises. What are some of your guys' suggestions. I was thinking about trying quad and firewall adjuster.

Brent

Fanged03

Established Member
There is no noise, I was just saying that if the clutch plate was in backwards, I would think there would be some nasty noises being made. That point was brought up by a friend, but I don't wanna take the tranny out again. I thought it needed adjusting too, but the self adjustment didn't do anything.

Brent

green99_svt

Established Member
the disk will not fit in backwards. check the quadrant under the dash to see if the teeth are stripped off. if so its not adjusting itself like it should automatically. if stripped replace with a quality metal piece

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
what happens if the teeth on both plastic pieces are fine? I don't mean to steal the thread, but I have the same problem. I'm using the same clutch cable as before the clutch installation. I've already taken the clutch off to reinstall, and still can't figure out the problem.

Last edited:

green99_svt

Established Member
i had a trans snout stick out to farr and hold the disk against the flywheel before. check for rubbing marks on the disk hub and the input bearing snout

Fanged03

Established Member
I wonder if thats my problem, all the teeth are fine on the quadrant. And it self adjusted as much as it could. I just still feels like it isn't being totally disengaged. Is there a way to fix the snout without taking the tranny out?
Brent

Users who are viewing this thread