odd clunking noise

Steeltwo

Established Member
while turning the wheel.

it's not the cv or anything.

it'll clunk when I make a 90 degree turn. and another clunk when I straighten up the wheel. It won't do it at a higher speed. I took a slow right hand turn, and it did the first clunk like normal, however when I started to straighten up the wheel, there was a little bit of resistance, then it clunked and acted normal.

i put the car up on ramps and nothing seems odd, except for somthing that appears to be a small ass shock absorber looking thing that is located right between the tranny and facia. It is all of 6 inches long at best.

it is leaking some type of fluid and the boot can be moved all around.

i dunno what the part is called though.

could that be causing my problem?

Steeltwo

Established Member
efe93808.jpg

it's a image station one, so I dunno if it'll work :(

is it a tranny mount or something?

Last edited:

SpookSVT

Established Member
Thats the stab-o-shock thats supposed to abosorb vibrations form the movement of the transaxle. Thats not your problem. A bad motor mount could be a possibility. My sisters car did the same thing and it turned out to be a blown diff. :uh oh:

Not saying thats your problem but those were the same clunks that we got when it blew. Do you drive your car pretty hard?

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
im getting a clunk type noise when i reverse out of my driveway when i lock the wheel to turn out. i also get it when turning into my driveway locking wheel to the right. i only get it at slow speeds or starting from a dead stop while returning wheel back to center.

are you getting the same thing?

i had a new diff installed a while back. i had a mechanic look at it and he didnt see anything wrong but possible sway bar endlinks needing to be replaced. i dont see a noise like that coming from somthing that small though.

Steeltwo

Established Member
SpookSVT said:
Thats the stab-o-shock thats supposed to abosorb vibrations form the movement of the transaxle. Thats not your problem. A bad motor mount could be a possibility. My sisters car did the same thing and it turned out to be a blown diff. :uh oh:

Not saying thats your problem but those were the same clunks that we got when it blew. Do you drive your car pretty hard?

no, I do not drive the car hard.

this feels like it affects the steering directly, you literally feet the drag on the steering wheel. Also, after the corner i've waiting to correct the wheel, and it'll wait to clunk until I move the wheel.

how much is a stab o shock? it's leaking so it'll need to be replaced.

Steeltwo

Established Member
maniak87 said:
im getting a clunk type noise when i reverse out of my driveway when i lock the wheel to turn out. i also get it when turning into my driveway locking wheel to the right. i only get it at slow speeds or starting from a dead stop while returning wheel back to center.

are you getting the same thing?

i had a new diff installed a while back. i had a mechanic look at it and he didnt see anything wrong but possible sway bar endlinks needing to be replaced. i dont see a noise like that coming from somthing that small though.
sounds pretty close.

i'm just wondering what the steering wheel drag feeling is.

Steeltwo

Established Member
i've got a video of it, but i can't get google of youtube to allow me to upload

also, i did the vid while the car was parked to eliminate the possibility of it being the dif.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Could be:
A bad strut bearing.
Broken spring.
Lower ball joint.

A broken transmission or engine mount would also make noise when you get on and off the throttle pedal.

Steeltwo

Established Member
DemonSVT said:
Could be:
A bad strut bearing.
Broken spring.
Lower ball joint.

A broken transmission or engine mount would also make noise when you get on and off the throttle pedal.

they replaced the ball joint in november. but it was a dealership........... :mj:

experiment626

ALL MOTOR CARS RULE
Established Member
broken spring

I also think it could be a broken coil spring or a bad mount sometimes rack bushings go bad and rack moves bad and forth.Look there first before going anyfuther. :)

Steeltwo

Established Member
demon and 626 are correct

broken coil spring

319 for labor and parts DOH

i pm'd the parts guy on here to see if he could get the part for cheaper.

SpookSVT

Established Member
How could the spring be it? I'm curious. We had that same problem and the car would not move at all, although it did puncture into the tire. Is the car sitting lop-sidded?

The new ball-joint could be a problem since it was the dealership. Try re-TQing it.

Steeltwo

Established Member
SpookSVT said:
How could the spring be it? I'm curious. We had that same problem and the car would not move at all, although it did puncture into the tire. Is the car sitting lop-sidded?

The new ball-joint could be a problem since it was the dealership. Try re-TQing it.
as I was turning the wheel he said,

the spring is moving pretty good.

when they put it up on the hoist, with it unloaded they found a break.
and it is sitting a little lopsided but is driveable.

also I noticed that there was the coil's coating on my garage floor, i thought it was from the stab o shoc, but when I looked at it closer, I noticed that it had a curve in it.

Steeltwo

Established Member
well i got the car back today

new front springs make the car handle like it was originally intended. I always though that my svt had a little too much body roll.
well, with the new springs the body roll seems to be reduced by a noticable amount, also it does not wheelhop as easy. it still does it a little, but no where near what it would do.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
i wonder if mine problem is the spring as well. i am getting more body roll than from what i rememberd but my noise may not be a s loud as yours. i guess i'll have to take a look at it.

Steeltwo

Established Member
just have someone turn the wheel

if the spring moves

then you need new ones.
get two though, if you get just one it'll handle funny.

Users who are viewing this thread