Odd ABS Light

Scott Rinehart

Established Member
All of the sudden my ABS will come on usually about after 2 or so miles of driving. Sometimes it will go off then come back on. Two different scanners show no codes or indication that anything is wrong. Hard braking shows the ABS is still operating as it should. Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Tire diameter discrepancy between front and rear. My 97 does it occasionally when the tires start to get worn out. It's pretty random but it happens. Same symptoms as you describe.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You're ABS module is probably on the way out. Mine did the same thing and eventually the light stayed on constantly. I'm actually going through it now.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Mine has been parked since COVID.

I just started having this issue also.

I’m just now getting codes

relay and module.

I’m using a decent scanner
Bosch 1350

texas_snake

Established Member
So the Bosch ABS module in our cars have poor solder and what seems to be a high failure rate at 10+ years (perhaps manufacture thinks 10 years is enough for a brake part, who knows). On both my 03 Terminator and 03 Mach 1 the ABS module failed (light slowly stayed on longer and longer until constant).

I replaced them both over the last 2 years. Pulled the part (just pulled the brake lines rather then fighting to separate the module in the car), sent it to cheapabs.com (followed their instructions on separating the module from the distro block), took about a week to get back, put it back in and bled the system (be aware a little air might be in the module with this approach). If you do this, you WILL need to start the bleed by doing it at the master cylinder and NOT the wheels (I made this mistake first time). I found a video on youtube (very old) which walked me through the removal part somewhat.

After installed, first thing I did was to engage the ABS (wet road mild peel out with Traction control on), then front brake lock up. Then did the master cylinder bleed again incase some bubbles went up (didn't really see much). This was just a paranoid step perhaps all don't need. Also some OBD 2 tools can turn on the ABS for a few seconds to help bleed the module/distro block.

Cost me about $110 per module with my labor. Total time for me was 2 weeks (remove, send out, install). Could be less as I did the work on the weekends.

No lights anymore and ABS works fine on both. Good luck!

01yellercobra

Established Member
As I'm on my second module I'm really debating on getting rid of ABS all together. I don't think it's worked right since I've owned the car anyway.

If I did it I'd really like to to the whole part of swapping lines and get rid of everything behind the radiator.

texas_snake

Established Member
Some of the companies that rebuild them claim they make them better than stock because they know the failure points and address them in an improved way (hopefully resulting in no further failures). In general, if the module is acting up and the light is turning on, your car turns off trying to use the ABS so you are basically driving without it (like it is removed or disconnected anyway). Check around, but I believe this is true. I drove my cars about 3 years (between the 2) with the ABS light on till I fixed them both. Also in Texas, the ABS light being on does not prevent yearly inspection passing. Not sure where you live.

But I grew up with a 71 mustang and drum brakes. The car could hardly stop and locked up the brakes regularly - totally sucked and dangerous, but I was a broke teenager and it was my first car. When in a lockup/slide due to hitting your brakes hard, you need to pump the brakes yourself (locking up and unlocking) vs just skidding or it will take much longer to stop. My point is, if you are not used to dealing with brakes that lock up, you are MUCH safer with ABS fixed. I tried to teach my son how to handle lockups and realized I should just get the ABS fixed - so I did. No regrets on that. Good luck whatever you choose.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
As I'm on my second module I'm really debating on getting rid of ABS all together. I don't think it's worked right since I've owned the car anyway.

If I did it I'd really like to to the whole part of swapping lines and get rid of everything behind the radiator.

I got rid of mine and used a abs delete block and plumed a line lock into it. Brakes feel way better.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread