Octane Tune?!?! Blowing up engine?!

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
Just got a 01SVTL pullied and chipped...
The lightning has the following mods...

*JLP CAI (Ramair kit)
*6# lower pully and stock eaton SC pully up top
*SCT Chip with a 93 octane tune (HERE's the question)
*MAC Cat back

My problem is that the guys who tuned the truck with the 93 octane tune say that if i put in any pump gas that has (lets just say) a 87 octane or lower pump gas in that the engine will blow up and won't last a month! :dw:

Iv'e never heard of this and can't seem to think of a reason that this would happen at all... I need help with this fast cause im freakin sick of this guys bull! I just think it's a bunch of :bs:

Any reply would be really appreciated!!!

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
I don't know if you'd kill the engine within a month running 87 octane on that 93 octane tune. They're trying to get you to understand that the timing on your current tune is set to work without causing the engine to detonate/ping with the 93 octane gasoline and the extra boost from your lower pulley. If you run a lower octane and your timing isn't backed off accordingly, you run the risk of detonation/pinging under boost, especially at wide open throttle, thereby possibly causing your engine to turn into a grenade.

I'm running a 5lb lower pulley and I definitely wouldn't run 87 octane on my current tune. I don't think that they were trying to feed you a line of :bs: . Maybe the way they explained it to ya sounded strange.

Enjoy those new mods and be careful.

Hope I didn't confuse you. :beer:

Last edited:

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
Thanks! was just wondering can i get an 87 octane tune on the 6# pully and the other stuff i got!?? or does it have to be a 93?!

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Yeah, you can get a tune for 87 octane, however, you'll lose some power due to the timing having to be backed off to compensate for the lower octane. The main thing with any tune is that you don't want detonation caused by too lean of an air/fuel ratio and incorrect timing which equals :kaboom:.

Make sure that you know what your timing and A/F ratio is in your tune for safety's sake. :beer:

OH-MAN

Established Member
We can only get 91 octane here and it will work.
That said if your truck has a chip that is programmed for 93 and you run 87 you will here pinging/ rattling type of sound for a while, it will stop if you stay in the throttle. Because the engine will throw a rod or two through the block, then it will be quiet.
Too much timing and or a lean A/F ratio will destroy your engine very quickly.
If you can only get 87 you will need a chip tuned for that.

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
BTW, is your SCT chip capable of holding more than one tune? Is it a flip chip set-up?

Thunayyan, if I were you, without an appropiate tune, I'd stay away from the 87 octane. You gotta remember that lower pulley adding all that extra boost at WOT. Nuff said.

Last edited:

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
THANKS Guys! Appreciate it! Guess ill have to go with the 93 octane then! SuX though! I can only get that kind of fuel in some gas stations not all!!!

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
nastynivek said:
Really? I thought there would be 93 octane flowing from all the gas pumps in the Middle East.

Its much cheaper than the states buddy but people here usually fill up the tank with the 87 octane... no reason... just cheaper... and oh yeah! bout the 93 octane being in every station the reason it isn't is because it's not that high of a demand here!

Last edited:

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
Recomendation from FORD on the Lightnings is 91 minimum,due to the supercharger and tune of course.

Users who are viewing this thread