Octane boost??? on Drag Day??

Trblmkr

Established Member
A friend of mine told me that before we hit the strip this weekend that I should pick up a bottle of octane boost and dump it into my car. He say's it's a sure way to pick up a bit more HP out of the engine...

Anybody else do this or tried it ???

:burnout:

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Okay here's my opinion on octane booster "Don't bother purchasing it". If you want an increased safety factor then go to your local speedshop and purchase either VP race fuel (Unleaded 100 or 103 octane), Or Sunoco unleaded race fuel.

Increased octane only means that the fuel will burn slower. You can actually rob your car of horsepower by using it. It all depends on how the car is set up and tuned. My only purpose of using race fuel is to fight off any possible detonation. Whether it gives me another 5 horsepower or takes it away doesn't matter to me.

Razor.:beer:

Dierz

Established Member
Hows the Steeda Springs working out for you? Wanted to get specific rates which they offer via Liner I/O Progressive.

Which did u get?

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Dierz
Hows the Steeda Springs working out for you? Wanted to get specific rates which they offer via Liner I/O Progressive.

Which did u get?

I have the Steeda sport springs and they are great so far. They provide the stance I was looking for and they also ride pretty good.

Razor.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Octane boost doesn't actually up you octane anyway, all it does is alter the burn of the fuel, a bit slower to avoid early detonation. In fact I have seen dyno results and most have lost a few ponies, but never any gain. If you can floor it on a hot day and the car runs fine you are good to go. If you hear any detonation don't even bother with race gas, get you car re-tuned. Unless you have a toggle chip with a super aggressive tune on it, no one except dedicated race cars should need race gas. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread