OCI with Vortech V-2

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Vortech's manual specifically says the following -

upload_2019-4-30_10-35-40.png

Well, my neighbor has a high HP Evo and a Z06 and he is an Amsoil preferred customer and he has convinced me to give Amsoil SS a shot in my car.

It's a 99 Cobra and has been supercharged for almost 6 years. I have been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in 5W-30 and have noticed some oil consumption the last couple years, maybe 1.5 quarts over 3000 miles. Prior to that it didn't seem to burn oil at all.

Amsoil of course makes a claim of 25,000 mile OCI's.

upload_2019-4-30_10-40-25.png

I guess my question is, can I disregard Vortech's recommendation and run past 3000 miles? I'd think so but the oil is performing double duty since it's lubricating/cleaning both the engine and supercharger. What is a reasonable OCI with this oil?

@UnleashedBeast do you have an opinion?

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Oil changes are cheaper than a new engine.

I use Amsoil SS in my truck still change it every 5k.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd change the oil around 3k regardless of what oil is used.

Part of me wants to go in this direction since it seemed like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was burning off worse towards the end but if the "best" oil you can buy isn't any better than any other oil, what's the point of even getting anything other than cheap dino oil?

I'll just have to keep a close eye on it as far as oil levels and maybe even spring for a Blackstone test at 3k.

Oil changes are cheaper than a new engine.

I use Amsoil SS in my truck still change it every 5k.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, after reading a bit more and talking to some guys who run Amsoil, this is what I'll do.

old01cobra

Established Member
If you stroll around town your fine with 5 30. Tuner and builder recommended 10 30 NA and now with the blower 40 or 50 weight. Oil consumption between 5 30 and 5 20 will be nearly identical on a higher mileage car that’s sipping some. 5 50 would help some.

You have a oil pressure gauge? Run it hard with 5 30 then do the same with 5 50. That will show how thin watery 5 30 gets. There is a reason ford used 5 50 in the big boys. Fuel economy is not a priority to a street track car.

Not that anyone on here wants too but look at the evo and wrx crowd they run 20 50 in built engines and the tolerances Resemble ours.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you stroll around town your fine with 5 30. Tuner and builder recommended 10 30 NA and now with the blower 40 or 50 weight. Oil consumption between 5 30 and 5 20 will be nearly identical on a higher mileage car that’s sipping some. 5 50 would help some.

You have a oil pressure gauge? Run it hard with 5 30 then do the same with 5 50. That will show how thin watery 5 30 gets. There is a reason ford used 5 50 in the big boys. Fuel economy is not a priority to a street track car.

Not that anyone on here wants too but look at the evo and wrx crowd they run 20 50 in built engines and the tolerances Resemble ours.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I will have to see what Amsoil 5w-40 or 5w-50 will run me.

I have 8 quarts of 5w-30 but I can use that in the 4Runner as it works fairly hard to pull my boat up and down hills.

Users who are viewing this thread