Occasional Rubbing sound after changing rear brakes help?emergency brake?

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Guys, after changing my rear brakes about one month ago I remember the guy doing the brakes so the caliper was really tight to get back over the brake pads on the driver side. In saying that I recall that is what leads to the emergency break cable? So when I turn my steering wheel sharp right sometimes I hear a rubbing sound and also when I hit certain bumps on the occasion that makes the quick rubbing sound too. Do you think this could be from something else or or something is off since rear pad install ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

52merc

Established Member
Did the installer reset the caliper pistons? They need to be pushed in and turned at the same time using a tool made for just this task. Typically you turn them in all the way and then reset them by operating your parking brake and brake pedal several times. There are plenty of kits out there. This one was on Amazon.com and is like the kit I have. It will service a plethora of vehicles and they aren't very expensive.
Caliper Tool.JPG

01yellercobra

Established Member
The fact that the sound comes and goes with turning would lead me to believe something is moving. First thing I'd check is that everything is tight. From there check the axle bearings.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Did the installer reset the caliper pistons? They need to be pushed in and turned at the same time using a tool made for just this task. Typically you turn them in all the way and then reset them by operating your parking brake and brake pedal several times. There are plenty of kits out there. This one was on Amazon.com and is like the kit I have. It will service a plethora of vehicles and they aren't very expensive.
View attachment 1500904

Yes I rented that tool and we used that to compress the piston back in.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
The fact that the sound comes and goes with turning would lead me to believe something is moving. First thing I'd check is that everything is tight. From there check the axle bearings.

Yes sharp occasional turning and even when driving straight also and I’ll look into all that. Thanks

52merc

Established Member
If you had adjusted the pistons all the way in there should have been sufficient clearance between the pads to easily get the caliper over the rotor. You had said this was a "really tight" fit. I believe you are in Detroit. Do you drive your car in winter? Driving in winter with all that slush and salt can corrode the piston and keep it from turning properly when you are trying to retract it. You may have thought you got it in, but it might have seized up before it retracted enough to give you the clearance you need. If the pads are real close to the rotor, any movement caused by making turns or even backing up can cause the noise.

Another problem could be the guide pins. They could also be corroded and not sliding properly. If this is the case, the caliper could be sitting too far to one side of the rotor. You may need to either take the pins out and clean them up or replace them. You can buy new pins and boots. If you do that, you need to lubricate the pins with a high temp brake grease.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
If you had adjusted the pistons all the way in there should have been sufficient clearance between the pads to easily get the caliper over the rotor. You had said this was a "really tight" fit. I believe you are in Detroit. Do you drive your car in winter? Driving in winter with all that slush and salt can corrode the piston and keep it from turning properly when you are trying to retract it. You may have thought you got it in, but it might have seized up before it retracted enough to give you the clearance you need. If the pads are real close to the rotor, any movement caused by making turns or even backing up can cause the noise.

Another problem could be the guide pins. They could also be corroded and not sliding properly. If this is the case, the caliper could be sitting too far to one side of the rotor. You may need to either take the pins out and clean them up or replace them. You can buy new pins and boots. If you do that, you need to lubricate the pins with a high temp brake grease.

It’s only a summer driver in nice weather 52k miles and they makes sense as this random rubbing type sound has only happened since I change the rear brakes. I plan on changing the front soon so I will look again at the back and look at what you said. Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread