OBX Headers Arrived (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A DuB

Established Member
After doing some research i decided to take a chance on OBX headers. The price was right, but i was unsure of the quality. I know several members in the lightning community have these on their trucks with great results but i have not heard of a GT500 owner with them.
I came across a deal i couldnt pass up. A member on here was selling a new set of OBX headers, resonators, x pipe, bolts and clamps for 300 bucks.

First off, i know these are not kooks headers. I went into this expecting a mediocre quality header. Right not im pleasantly surprised as the quality is well above mediocre. The welds look great and the material is thicker than your average steel header IE pacesetter (like i had on my fbody) The last test is fitment, which i plan on doing in a few months after i get the rest of the exhaust setup. Here are some pics

100_2994.jpg

100_2995.jpg

100_2996.jpg

100_2997.jpg

100_2998.jpg

100_2999.jpg

100_3000.jpg

100_3002.jpg

100_3003.jpg

100_3005.jpg

100_3006.jpg

100_3007.jpg

I know there are still going to be some naysayers, but assuming they fit without issues, then these headers are well worth the price. Even at the 550 price on ebay.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
What a tease. A few months and you show us now. Just giving you grief they look good. See nothing wrong with them. For that price I don't think anyone would pass them up. For that price I would drop another 150 or so and have them ceramic coated and really set them off. Great buy and good luck with the install

A DuB

Established Member
What a tease. A few months and you show us now. Just giving you grief they look good. See nothing wrong with them. For that price I don't think anyone would pass them up. For that price I would drop another 150 or so and have them ceramic coated and really set them off. Great buy and good luck with the install

Thanks man. Yes i figured for 300 bucks it was worth it. I have been thinking about getting everything jet hot coated. I need to call around and get a price

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Not to shabby for the price. Wish they would have used a firecone in the collector. What is runner length variation for each one? Fitment is a big thing in bolt-on world. Hope the install goes well. 4v cars can be a PITA but aren't as bad as they used to be for the SN-95s

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Kinda reminds me of the American racing headers with slightly revised collector and mounting flange. Collectors remind me of MAC/BBk but primarys look like ARH. Just my thought though.

A DuB

Established Member
Whos header did they copy ?
I think they copyed dynatech headers

Not to shabby for the price. Wish they would have used a firecone in the collector. What is runner length variation for each one? Fitment is a big thing in bolt-on world. Hope the install goes well. 4v cars can be a PITA but aren't as bad as they used to be for the SN-95s

Im not sure of the overall length, but i did check the diameter. Its an 1 7/8" primary to 3" collector. Im not familiar with the term firecone.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
SLP are similar also. I haven't seen many dynotech but you could be right on

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Defintely think it's Dynatech even the welds are in the same place along with the header name which makes that an awesome deal. Now you know that you'll get the 40hp gain.
img0012zw.jpg

img0011gg.jpg

F8L SN8K

Established Member
0709_tr_06_z+2007_chevy_silverado+jba_header_interior_view.jpg

This is a Fire cone. Goes between the primaries tubes in the collector to smooth flow and lessen pulses within the system on the individual cylinders firing at different times and limiting turbulence.

erald01

Established Member
you own a GT500 and you get OBX parts? I am sorry but OBX spells fail all over. The OBX parts are very bad quality, they use china steel and very poor welds (even though they look good). Expect them to crack soon...good luck though, but if you going through the hassel of doing heads why not get proven quality product... dont be cheap on performance parts, will bite you in the ass later...just my .02 cents

A DuB

Established Member
you own a GT500 and you get OBX parts? I am sorry but OBX spells fail all over. The OBX parts are very bad quality, they use china steel and very poor welds (even though they look good). Expect them to crack soon...good luck though, but if you going through the hassel of doing heads why not get proven quality product... dont be cheap on performance parts, will bite you in the ass later...just my .02 cents

Do you have any additional information? Ive looked around the net and cant find anything pointing to Chinese steel. I would love to see something. The only information i have seen for mod motors are from lightning owners, and they seem very happy with the OBX brand. There are some LSX guys (truck & Fbody) that are also happy with them. I would imagine that their headers use the same stainless steel compound.

At this point i only have 300 invested. I would like to see some facts that backup your statements.

Last edited:

erald01

Established Member
Well i come from the Evo world and lets say my OBX exhaust manifold cracked where the welds are, my OBX intake manifold split in half from the boost, i know people that had downpipes crack at the welds. Guys who do fabrication on headers/manifolds have looked at the material OBX or Megan Racing uses and even though it looks thick, it is very brittle....I have no proof for when it comes to 5.4 headers but i speak from experince in general..hopefully yours last..but my moto is when do something do it right the first time....Sorry do not mean to burst your bubble on this, just saying that you get what you pay for in the end.

A DuB

Established Member
Well i come from the Evo world and lets say my OBX exhaust manifold cracked where the welds are, my OBX intake manifold split in half from the boost, i know people that had downpipes crack at the welds. Guys who do fabrication on headers/manifolds have looked at the material OBX or Megan Racing uses and even though it looks thick, it is very brittle....I have no proof for when it comes to 5.4 headers but i speak from experince in general..hopefully yours last..but my moto is when do something do it right the first time....Sorry do not mean to burst your bubble on this, just saying that you get what you pay for in the end.

No bubble bursting man. I appreciate your input. Like i said i dont have much invested into this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread