OBD Readiness test... Catalyst...

04GTMustang

Established Member
Hey SVTP Crew,

About 2 months ago I went to get my car inspected when the Eaton was on it, and I failed because of EVAP, EGR, and Catalyst being not ready (but I had the battery recently disconnected). Basically a week later I tore the car down and did the Whipple install, and have driven that setup for 1,500 miles since then without uplugging the battery.

I went to get the car re-inspected today and the EGR/EVAP was clear, but the Catalyst still says not ready on their machine. Luckily this time I just had them scan it and not do a state test... (failing 3x = fml)

What the hell could be causing this? There's no way driving it more could fix it. I've gone through probably 75 driving cycles, some 2+ hour highway drives, and stop and go traffic.

I am NOT throwing a CEL, but I AM throwing a P1000 readiness code. My Exhaust is a Bassani CATTED X and Borla Stingers.

I was thinking of doing MIL's but I don't have a CEL... but maybe it will still work? The rear 02's are ON in my tune.. (99.9% sure considering Pete tuned it)

Blueline

Established Member
It def. sounds like your o2's are turned off in the tune. They would have turned on by now and/or thrown a CEL.

04GTMustang

Established Member
Let's theoretically say they are on for now until I can get that answered... could mil eliminators solve this to try and make that throw a ready on the catalyst?

04GTMustang

Established Member
Talked to my tuner.. Everything is ON. He said there's probably a pending code that my SCT isn't showing that is preventing the car from being ready.

04GTMustang

Established Member
Got a new email tune to allow me to run no cats with mils and I got a buddy coming with a advanced scanner. Let's see what happens.

04GTMustang

Established Member
If you clear codes does it completely reset the driving cycle test? Last thing I was is EVAP and EGR to get cleared.

black 10th vert

Established Member
This subject is of interest to me since I also live in MA, have a Bassani full system, and a Whipple like you. Is your EGR still intact, or deleted? I relocated mine for aesthetic reasons, but left everything functional. Just wondering if maybe a deleted EGR could be causing your problem (if you did that).

TheJam

SCOOOT, SCOOOT, SCOOOOT
Established Member
Bump.. sorry to dig up old threads but needed to see if you got this sorted out..

Sorry to dig up an old(er) thread but a "friend" of mine is having this exact issue with a similar setup (with Kenne Bell). Did you ever get the catalyst not ready to stop tripping. If so, what was the fix? Just driving it more? We're at about 550-ish miles driven since the battery scatted upon itself over the winter when stored.. So I understand it needs to be driven a while to get everything happy and "READY" for the Ol' Dirty B#$tidII, er.. I mean OBDII checks to be ready.. the EGR, EVAP, everything else is reading as ready that it scans for when they go to inspect.

any info/advise/anecdotal evidence/lowdown/The 4-11/The rumor, etc is appreciated.

moonltgold

Couple of things: (1) Like they said previously, not just "02" but go through the entire tune codes with your tuner and make sure all codes are "on" which if I remember is a "2" entry. And 2) you EGR might be plugged up and therefore OBD isn't reading. This happened to me when I went from Eaton to Whipple, and common on these cars. California cars fail with 2 or more codes out, but if you just throw one you are OK.

Users who are viewing this thread