OASIS Special Service Message on my 2011

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
so I have 3100 miles on my car. Some quite hard. Just checked the oil and it looks BRAND NEW. I'll will check it again at 5K Until it starts to look dark, i'm not going to change it. especially since the manual says 10K

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
ooops.....my bad for not clicking your link previously. My car does the
exact same thing. Trying to reach my service advisor now to see
if I can get in on this fix!

I know you said that it is the exact problem, but just let me stress to try and emulate it under the exact same conditions before assuming it's the same thing. The fact that it only happens when hot sounds the same, but mine made this noise since brand new -- changing the oil made no difference.

Mine also sounded like you were clicking the ignitor button on a hot water heater -- not like the stereotypical lifter tick.

Maybe it's the same, but I would be remiss if I didn't caution you to not jump to conclusions about it.

P.S. I've driven 700 miles since the additive was put in, and the noise has not returned.

Last edited:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
And, again, don't assume that any tick you have is what that OASIS report is referencing. The 5.0 engineer that looked at my car allowed my advisor to listen to several audio files of various 5.0 engine noises; my advisor said that the "chirp" to which this message refers sounds like a giant cricket . . . it cannot be mistaken for anything else.

venumus93

Established Member
And, again, don't assume that any tick you have is what that OASIS report is referencing. The 5.0 engineer that looked at my car allowed my advisor to listen to several audio files of various 5.0 engine noises; my advisor said that the "chirp" to which this message refers sounds like a giant cricket . . . it cannot be mistaken for anything else.

I understand where u are coming from. The fact that I didn't notice it until after the first oil change is probably because I had not gone througha drive-thru yet (with nose bouncing off the wall) or pulled into the garage with the windows down yet (that 's when I first noticed it).

My mechanically-inclined friend who heard the noise in my car a couple weeks ago is the one who first saw your other thread and emailed me to tell me your post was describing EXACTLY what I was experiencing. I like how you described it as a ignition on a charcoal grill...it does sound more like that than any other way I could best describe the nose.

If anything, if my local dealership's service dept thinks that fix will work, wont hurt to try it out, right? I called him yesterday and left a voicemail...no response yet....so calling again now to see if he has heard anything from Ford factory yet...

Thanks again for all of your help!
Sean

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Good luck, Venum. Remember, this additive fix is supposed to be "weeks" away from being an official TSB. I got it because I'm in Southeast Michigan, and an actual 5.0 engineer agreed to come listen to my car. So, getting the additive out of Ford might take you a bit.

P.S. My car was built 5/16 . . .

kingnut

Established Member
wow this sucks to hear. gotta be afraid to change your oil cause of this noise appearing.

venumus93

Established Member
Good luck, Venum. Remember, this additive fix is supposed to be "weeks" away from being an official TSB. I got it because I'm in Southeast Michigan, and an actual 5.0 engineer agreed to come listen to my car. So, getting the additive out of Ford might take you a bit.

OK, spoke to my dealer tech. He said they are pulling up nothing new for this issue. I told him about your info, cid, and that since you are close to the factory maybe you got lucky with a rep being able to come out to the dealer so easily. My local service advisor is going to email the Ford factory service hotline to ask if there is any pending TSB coming out for this. Said it is an online thing they submit, so it may be several hours or a day before they hear anything back.

As frustrating and weird as this noise is, I am not in any way worried about the quality or longevity of this car/engine. It still pulls like a mo' fo' so I am happy :rolling: And I'll be patient....

And the tag on my doorjamb says my car was built 04/2010. I am not sure how to get the exact date....?

Thanks,
Sean

TVSCobra

Established Member
OK, spoke to my dealer tech. He said they are pulling up nothing new for this issue. I told him about your info, cid, and that since you are close to the factory maybe you got lucky with a rep being able to come out to the dealer so easily. My local service advisor is going to email the Ford factory service hotline to ask if there is any pending TSB coming out for this. Said it is an online thing they submit, so it may be several hours or a day before they hear anything back.

As frustrating and weird as this noise is, I am not in any way worried about the quality or longevity of this car/engine. It still pulls like a mo' fo' so I am happy :rolling: And I'll be patient....

And the tag on my doorjamb says my car was built 04/2010. I am not sure how to get the exact date....?

Thanks,
Sean

please keep us updated on what happens.

additive? :shrug:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I am getting my oil changed next week also. The motor will have metal shavings and crab from the bearings and rings settling in. Gotta get that out.

And that squeek is the rumored cause of the shipping hold.

It will also have all of the assembly lube/sealant crap in it. I changed mine early as well in my GT500 and sent it in for an oil analysis. Pretty interesting and it takes a few changes to get all the crud out.

venumus93

Established Member
please keep us updated on what happens.

additive? :shrug:

OK. Dealer had my car all day on Friday. Original plan was to keep it until about noon as the technician would be talking and emailing directly with someone at Ford. I got the car back at 6pm, and here is what was written on the service invoice:

"Per HOT KINE 103990521. Removed 2 qts oil. Added special synthetic additive. Ran engine and evaluate noise every 5 minutes. For 6 times total, noise improved but still present. Oasis contact 104B01807. Spoke to Willy. Sound from rear of engine will be eliminated when engine is fully broken in this may take 2-3 oil changes depending on driving habits. S120-9536"

Soooo....I still have this tick/tap type noise. Well documented, and just going to enjoy my car now as it is the best looking, most powerful, nicest driving car I have ever been in :-D.

My only concern is that if this is something internal that is "wearing in", and it is metal hitting metal, will I have premature part wearout/failure at say 40K miles??? No extended warranty this time around....

I also told them about the clutch sticking to the floor once on me....and got the typical response on the invoice:

"Checked clutch operation no problem found at this time"

Hahahaha.....I guess I'll take it back in if there is ever a TSB put out for the clutch pedal.

Later,
Sean

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
the only issues ive seen so far are:

1. stability control activating in 6th gear at 40mph part throttle. it felt like a flat tire. the right rear brakes were activating. i pressed the brake peddle and felt the abs working. i put the car in neutral and the ABS pulsed until the car stopped. i pulled the car over and checked the tires. no tire issues. i turned the ABS/ESC off then back on. no more of that.

2. the gears in the transmission are beginning to sound like straight cut racing gears. it sounds like the input shaft splining with the counter shaft is the culprit. i only hear it at part throttle shifts. - i love the way it sounds.

3. blocking rings in the transmission at light shifting pressures not working, causing gear grinding. could also be insufficient clutch disengagment.

clutch is smooth with no creeping. the rest of the car is perfect.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Venum,

I found your post very interesting.

The additive I got took the problem away virtually instantly, though I'm sure they let the car idle and evaluated "every 5 minutes" to confirm it. However, it was only a pint of the liquid (I saw the bottle). If they had to drain 2 quarts of oil for the additive you got, I'm wondering if we're talking about two different problems.

Interesting note, it was explained to me that the noise would have went away with break in, but the additive sped up the process. About a week ago, I thought I heard the noise again (only very quietly -- nothing like it was before the additive). Out of an abundance of caution, I called the dealer to inquire if I could expect it to go away completely once I drove the car for a while. After consulting the 5.0 engineer, he said there was "no expectation" for whether I would see a difference after some driving, only that the noise would go away pretty much right after the additive was poured in.

This info seems to contradict what you were told, so maybe you have a different problem . . . or Ford's right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.

venumus93

Established Member
Venum,

I found your post very interesting.

The additive I got took the problem away virtually instantly, though I'm sure they let the car idle and evaluated "every 5 minutes" to confirm it. However, it was only a pint of the liquid (I saw the bottle). If they had to drain 2 quarts of oil for the additive you got, I'm wondering if we're talking about two different problems.

Interesting note, it was explained to me that the noise would have went away with break in, but the additive sped up the process. About a week ago, I thought I heard the noise again (only very quietly -- nothing like it was before the additive). Out of an abundance of caution, I called the dealer to inquire if I could expect it to go away completely once I drove the car for a while. After consulting the 5.0 engineer, he said there was "no expectation" for whether I would see a difference after some driving, only that the noise would go away pretty much right after the additive was poured in.

This info seems to contradict what you were told, so maybe you have a different problem . . . or Ford's right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.

I am thinking the left hand/right hand thing. especially after I read on my invoice what they used: "2 XY*75W140*QL OIL - REAR AXLE"

So I guess they put the friction stuff for rear end gears in my engine. Sounds scary to me. Oh well, driving it and enjoying it :burnout:

I'll check back in after a couple thousand miles to let y'all know if the noise continues. It had given me hope that your noise went away very quickly...

Thanks,
Sean

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
They added two quarts of a 75w-140 lubricant? So much for the question over whether engine tolerances won't allow anything thicker than 5w-20 :)

TVSCobra

Established Member
Did ford put the friction modifier in your engine? Or is it an assembly lube like GM EOS? I highly doubt they put gear oil in your engine.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The manual says not to drive it hard for the first 100 miles and not in a competitive fashion for 1000 miles as well. So, I figure even though it doesn't require a real "break in" like engines of old, it cant hurt to change it out after the nominal break-in to make sure no machining residues (i.e. small metal shavings) still remain in the engine. Again, I don't think it can hurt.....and it was free as my first oil change. :coolman:

Thanks,
Sean

i have almost 2K on mine and ive been beating the shit out of mine since day 1 with 2 miles on it

Users who are viewing this thread