o2 Sensor Bank 1 of 2 Slow Response = Bad?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Ok my check engine light came on the other day so I went to AutoZone to get a free code check. I can't remember what the exact number is but that is what the message on the reader said.

Is this a bad thing? What does it mean? I already had one o2 sensor go bad (car drove like crap then) and Ford replaced saying that they had a service thing out for them not pinging correctly. The service manager told me they could have blamed it on my exhaust mods and not fixed but they did anyway. My x-pipe has cats.

It drives fine now I just get the check engine light. The guy at AutoZone told me to dump some injector cleaner in my tank and it might straighten it out. I said no way dude. I am not dumping any of that crap in my tank. Anyone else have similar problem?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I had my drivers side upstream O2 buy the farm as well. Code poped up, I reset it and it came back after another weak or so. I then datalogged both front O2's and it was clear the bank one was not responding in a similar fashion as bank 2. In closed loop operation it monitors exhaust gas and car adjusts fuel accordingly, if its slow to respond the EEC will have to try and accomidate but sooner or later it will likely completely fail. I didnt trust the dealer with my car so just bought one and replaced it myself.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
On my cobra i recently just replaced my 2 upstream sensor for the same reason. After that the car run alot stronger and smoother.

lguerra1

Established Member
This code does not necessarily mean you have a bad 02 sensor. It can come up with an exhaust leak as well. I see from your sig that you have a Bassani x-pipe. With as many clamps as the Bassani has, you might want to make sure they are all tight. I personally know of 3 people that have a Bassani X-pipe, and all of them have had the same code come up.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I had the same exact thing happen! All I did was get under the car, unscrew the forward O2 sensor from the driver side and swap it out for the forward O2 sensor on the passenger side. It's been over 2 months and I haven't pulled another code! I'm running a Bassani catted X. I have no exhaust leaks. :beer:

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by 702lightning
On my cobra i recently just replaced my 2 upstream sensor for the same reason. After that the car run alot stronger and smoother.

What kind did you purchase?

lguerra1

Established Member
You should also check the positioning of the forward 02s on the Bassani versus the stock h. If the 02s are positioned further down the pipe, away from the header, then that will also cause it to read slow. I know everyone with a Bassani pipe doesn't have this problem. But it sure is odd that the people I know with the concern, all have Bassani pipes. Something is just not right. Has anyone else had the same issue with some other brand x or h-pipe?

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
I have the Bassani headers/cat'ed x and catback. I pulled the same code: slo response bank 2. After going through all but the last step in the troubleshooting matrix off the Ford Service DVD, it still kept coming back. Finally bit the bullet and bought the new sensor. Put in and have been running it for over a week with no issues (knocks on wood)... $65 at fordpartscheap.com.

The old sensor came out BLACK - completely coated in carbon.

Not too sure mine had anything to do with the x-pipe as the forward right o2 sensor was my issue and that is on the header before the collector. :shrug:

Best of luck! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread