NY to FLA

duzzi

love my Mystic
Established Member
Driving from New York State to Miami for Xmas vac. Hope to average between 72 & 78 mph. How fast over the speed limits can you go in other states w/out being stopped?? Any ideas cause I don't have a radar det.and don't want the hassle of a ticket.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Driving from New York State to Miami for Xmas vac. Hope to average between 72 & 78 mph. How fast over the speed limits can you go in other states w/out being stopped?? Any ideas cause I don't have a radar det.and don't want the hassle of a ticket.

My guess would be that it would depend on the officer, just like anywhere else. I imagine someone will come in to confirm/deny that soon. When I was coming home from Chicago, many people were blowin by me and I was goin 90. There were cops all over too and I didn't see anyone pulled over.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
you're gonna try to average 72 and 78 mph?

No matter how fast you try I bet it'll take you 20 hours.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
There is no permissible mph over the limit. However, as you know, most officers won't write a ticket within a certain mph over, but you cant know the number until stopped. I would recommend going slower than the other cars who are speeding.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
My experience on I95 is that NJ and VA are states to watch out for. With NY plates, you MIGHT stand out, especially in Jersey and VA (and points south). I usually put it on cruise no more than about 4 mph over the limit and I've never had a problem. And, I don't have radar either. Radar is illegal in VA as you know. I've done from PA down to GA and back several times during my working days and been careful. VA has some very stiff speeding laws now with substantial fines (it may even be reckless if you're 20 over). It made a lot of headlines so watch it there, especially.

Just drive sanely and rest some. Be aware and, remember, saving a few hours may not be the best strategy. Time may be short but death or serious injury is permanent.

Good luck.

monX

Established Member
Personally I would never drive a long distance without a radar, if you plan to go over the limit to kill some time, you're going to need some sort of protection, radar price will pay for it self when it saves you your first ticket.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have made that drive quite a few times. probably averaged 80 most of the way. if you don't want to chance the hassle of a speeding ticket do the speed limit.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Except for now, seems as though the troopers here in bama have been cracking down on speed. There have been a few officers at my dept that are good friends that got pulled by AST for 52 in a 50 and 63 in a 60 lol.

super_fro_daddy

Established Member
Also, all the time you save by goin' 80+ can be wasted with a long gas or food stop. If you want make time, you'd need to go over 100 for extended periods of time and that would certainly attract some attention.....that has always been my argument. Just set the cruise @ 5 over and blend in.

oldmodman

Established Member
Mythbusters tested many different speeding theories.

If you go at least 200mph over the limit you will not be seen, or detected by Photo Radar either.

Make sure you post your trip on YouTube.

yellowbra

Established Member
good general rule of thumb for most police officers is 9 over for big populated areas and 4 over for neighborhoods. Obviously it depends on the department and the individual but that is a good guideline to go by.

yellowbra

Established Member
Except for now, seems as though the troopers here in bama have been cracking down on speed. There have been a few officers at my dept that are good friends that got pulled by AST for 52 in a 50 and 63 in a 60 lol.

man would I be a complete dick to that cop if I got a ticket for 2 over lol. But I guess over is over no matter how you look at it.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I've also made that trip many times. I always stop overnight...if you do, I've found Fayetteville, NC to be a good target whether going north or south. That also depends on how far south into Florida you need to go.

Squeeler92

I've made this same trip (Long Island to Panama City Beach) going 75-85 the whole way down 95. Had a Georgia Sheriff, NC State Police and NJ State Police all pull along side and proceed on going faster than I was. Just stick with the flow of the faster pack and you'll be ok. Being a Mystichrome Cobra tho ... I'd probably stick to 80 or under. There are spots on 95 where you'll have people flying past you even at 80 on a regular basis, lol.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member

Whatever you do....for the love of god DO NOT SPEED in Virginia. Them boys don't mess around.

Users who are viewing this thread