Numbered 95R engine $ value to the #R body owner?

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
OK, I have a some question and a slight dilema.

Besides the smart answers, how much would the proper numbered 95 R engine be worth to the missing engined numbered cars owner?

First, the story:

I bought the low mile longblock awhile back, just to use as a drop in 351 engine. I popped the heads as they were going to be replaced and noticed a slight rust crust at the top of one cylinder (that piston was up), and very, very slight rust at the top of the next two cylinders. I may have been able to just slap the engine together and go but it would have been a little more than I would have been willing to risk.

I am sure that one "bad" cyl. would clean up with .020 or .030 cleanup, maybe even with .0050 cleanup. The engine had just been sitting in an open garage and a little water got into that cylinder for a few months at the most through the exhaust port. Everything else looked fine.

Now what I have:

The S/N shortblock, (worst case will need .030 over), oilpan buttoned up, oil check tube, almost new motor mounts (any different than 5.0 Cobras?), front cover, water pump, timing chain, front damper, steel flywheel (which I am 99% positive is a Ford Racing SFI 28oz. wheel), the 2 good GT40 heads and Cobra rockers off of the engine, and the true R valve covers with original sticker. Of course the engine isn't in out of the crate condition, it just looks like a low mileage Ford engine that has been driven.

OK, now. I paid a deal more for it than a Lightning engine due to it's low miles and supposed drop in condition, it is basically a Lightning engine with a magic S/N and Cobra rockers, but from my slight insight into the current performance car situation, numbers can mean alot.

Anyone have any rough idea on what the longblock or the S/N may be worth over a comparible mileage/condition plain old Lightning longblock? And of course to the body owner?

I want to see these two united in holy matrimony, but I don't want to give it away and I don't care to try and "rape" the body owner if the engine really is worth much of a premium.

Any answers after reading this long, short story?

PM would be preferred, but, hey, this is an open forum.

Thanks, David :shrug:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Can you determine what car the engine came out of? I have never looked, are the blocks numbered with the VIN?

Brian

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra-R said:
I have never looked, are the blocks numbered with the VIN?
Yes. The tranny also shows a VIN. I'll be glad to volunteer to inspect your car while you are at work. :-D

kbconv said:
Anyone have any rough idea on what the longblock or the S/N may be worth over a comparible mileage/condition plain old Lightning longblock? And of course to the body owner?
I am a bit confused by your questions and am not sure how you will separate the block from the VIN?

What is an engine from a Lightning worth? Which R-model does this engine belong to (XX of 250)?

I guess you will need to determine who owns the car that matches the VIN engine you have? What if the VIN matches a car that has been totaled or stolen? I'd guess there are but only a few 95R's that do not have their original engine. Those would be the race cars.

Are you sure the engine can be fixed?

93SVTCobra

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken this is the engine to #162 and to be honest except to the owner of that car it's really not worth any more than a 351 windsor engine since you don't have the intake.

The vin number will be located on a vertical pad located on the drivers side rear face of the engine.

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
Yep, I figured it is only of worth to 162 basically as it is 162's true engine and it appears we both came to a fair price. Hopefully the car will live once again in the future also.

Still can't figure out how I'm gonna get the money for one of those new 500's though, haha.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Mark is correct. This is the engine to Scott's roller chassis. He sold it on ebay. I don't think Scott has any desire to pay for the original motor since he just sold it earlier this year.

As far as the rarity of the motor, it is a basic 351W with a VIN stamping. Since the owner of the chassis doesn't want it I don't see how it would command any sort of a premium. Especially since it has some water damage in at least one cylinder.

ROWNER8

Established Member
Tom, I disagree. If the old boss 429's and Boss 302's and shelbys are any indfication (which they may not be) I feel an engine with the correct VIN is invaluable to the guy who is trying to put this 95R back together. AT least in the future. He was told where all the 95R parts went that were sold off that car. he contacted me becuase I have the 5.8 intake manifold. Si I guess it depends on how original the guy wants the car. A B9 today with the orig. engine is worth $25K+ more than one with a replacement engine or block. Just my 2cents worth.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
ROWNER8 said:
Tom, I disagree. If the old boss 429's and Boss 302's and shelbys are any indfication (which they may not be) I feel an engine with the correct VIN is invaluable to the guy who is trying to put this 95R back together. AT least in the future. He was told where all the 95R parts went that were sold off that car. he contacted me becuase I have the 5.8 intake manifold. Si I guess it depends on how original the guy wants the car. A B9 today with the orig. engine is worth $25K+ more than one with a replacement engine or block. Just my 2cents worth.

Hi Robert,

I agree with your statement IF the owner of the chassis was interested in the original motor. Scott (the chassis owner) sold him this long block and you the intake. I have the alternator assembly, headers, fuel rails and a few other R specific parts from the car. I know another member has the fuel cell and other R specific motor parts. Obviously, he has no desire to keep the original parts to the chassis he owns. Now, if someone wanted to buy this long block and then buy the chassis and join them back together then I believe it has significant value. Without first owning the chassis I don't see anyone putting strong value in the motor for the future hope of being able to purchase the chassis.

Also, there is another thread that discusses the condition of the chassis and unknown repairs made to it.

Tom

Last edited:

ROWNER8

Established Member
I Guess It All Boils Down To How Much Of A Purest Someone Is And How Much They're Willing To Spend. You're Right, The R Long Block Is No More Than A Hopped Up Lightning Version So To Price Out Either Engine Is Almost Impossible. There Again, Just Depends On The Pure-izm (that Doesn't Look Right) Of The Individual. I'm Not So Sure Putting Together A Car From Parts Is A Financially Sound Decision. You'd Probably Have As Much In It As If You Bought A 95r With A Few Miles On It. Just My Opinion. Thanks, Scott M.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Hi Scott,

I thought that was you. When I clicked on your profile it had Robert as the name so I was a little confused. :shrug: Sorry about that.

I agree, unless you bought the car and parts dirt cheap, it is easier and financially cheaper to buy a complete car with these priced where they are now.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread