NT555R's for Street Use or M/T Street Comps?

Justbrewme1

I'm needing to choose new tires for some Forgestar F14's 20x11, tire size I'm looking for is 305/35's.

I was thinking about Nitto Nt555r's or Mickey Thompson Street Comps.

(Fronts would be Nitto Extreme G2's or M/T Street Comps)

I'm just wondering what you guys think about running a D/R on the street for daily driving?

I live in FL and we do get some decent rain here. Is a D/R going to be sketchy in the wet or should I go with M/T's or another option. Just seems like I'm limited with this tire size on my choices.

evil281

Established Member
I run the nt555r and it's been decent when it's over 75 degrees outside. I'm actually surprised how much tread I still have left after 5-6k miles at my power level as I spin em quite frequently. I have been caught in the rain a time or two even on the freeway. I just took it easy and did not notice any real scary moments or anything.

rotarymagic

Established Member
I've driven through three hurricanes worth of rain on a set of 275/60/15 Nitto 555R DR's. If you drive safely for the conditions, these tires don't pose much risk when compared to a normal summer tires or most all seasons. Yes they're not rain specific tires, but then again rain specific tires don't exactly grip like a 555R. In my opinion, a 555R DR is hard to beat for a <500rwhp car when it comes to mileage, rain manners, reasonable grip, ride quality, etc.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I know you asked specifically about those two tires but I run NT05R's and my car is a DD
I live in Louisiana so our weather is similar
I got caught in some bad rain and I couldn't go over 60mph before I felt the back end sliding
But if I'm light on the gas pedal and drive easy and safe I have no problems at all
Just can't get crazy of course
Now besides that, They hold up perfect and Hook like crazy in dry weather
I would guess the 555R is comparable to the NT05R
Tread pattern is different but both Drag Radials
& im not sure how bad the roads are in your area but the roads here are ate the f*ck up so it does put some wear on the tires
Hope this helped a little

weemon2k2

Established Member
The 555R is a hard tire to beat for a daily driver. They hook pretty good on the street depending on your horse power level, and they are the best drag radial I've ever driven with in the rain. At the track with 400whp and a auto trans I was able to dead hook on the stock converter (275/60/15). I've heard of people getting 30k miles of easy street use out of them

Holovacko

Established Member
I ran 555R as a DD for over a year, cold, hot, dry and rain. Never had an issue, 1.59 60' at the track. Still plenty of tread left

cjd223

Established Member
I run 305/45-18 555Rs as my DD tire. Did 1.58-1.60 60'. The 555Rs will be much better in rain than the NT05Rs. Guessing I am at 680ish whp. They do not like cold weather.

vortecd

Established Member
555R's are a very good rain tire. I have been running them on different Mustangs I daily for over 10 years.

I'm going to run Hoosiers DR's for the track only

Holovacko

Established Member
Neither tire will be consistent at the track, thats the only reason I'm switching the rears. The M/T's drag radials are better (the S/S not the street comps) are your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread