NT05r or Mickey Thompson ET street s/s?

cgaulzetti

Established Member
i finally wore out the garbage Michelin Pilot Sport Avs rear tires on my stock rims. I've got some custom offset 18x11 forgestars coming from Sam Strano that will get square Hoosiers on them for the twisty track- but I want to put some drag radials on the stock wheels for street driving and playing in a straight line.
I was all set to order 305/40/18 mickeys but my go to guy told me with my suspension set up and the fact that I drive on the street too they'd be a bit too tall and I'm better off getting Nitto NT05r in the stock 285 18 size. I love the Mickey Thompson on my Scat Pack Challenger- but I defer. What do you guys think?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think it's too tall. The OEM PP tires are close to a 28" diameter. I've run a 315/35-20, which is 28.8" and didn't have any real issues with it, but it was taller than I liked. If you're lowered, the right offset will be pretty critical to fitment.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No issues going 305s. I personally like Nitto on the street more but haven’t had the SS MT on one of my cars. Still friends say same thing of highway use and feel that leads my to stay with Nitto
-J

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
If you love the Sticky Mickeys on your Scat Back Challenger you may not find the extra bit of height as a drawback....except it might effect your rear gear ratio slightly. My 305 x 20 MT's are 1.75" taller so convert my 4.10's closer to 3.90's. They will need replacement late this season.
I heard much from a Corvette about the NT05R's and even looked at M&H. Not saying which is better here or there but knowing my MT's hook & exactly how my own car reacts under power with the MT's I'll likely be staying with the devil that I know.

cgaulzetti

Established Member
Thanks guys! I figured I'd try something different this time (since drag radials don't last long anyway) and on the advice of you guys and the folks at my shop- JBA, I'm doing the NT05r tires. I do drive the car everyday on the highway from San Diego to Delmar and sacrificing a bit of grip for slightly better highway manners seemed like a good idea- (although I'm usually not much about compromise!).

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Widen your wheels and run some 325 M/T SS...

90e2b8e99d84cfd759cfd9ab32649fb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thanks guys! I figured I'd try something different this time (since drag radials don't last long anyway) and on the advice of you guys and the folks at my shop- JBA, I'm doing the NT05r tires. I do drive the car everyday on the highway from San Diego to Delmar and sacrificing a bit of grip for slightly better highway manners seemed like a good idea- (although I'm usually not much about compromise!).

I ran a set of 305/45R18s on my spare drag wheel set. Probably 40+ 1/8 mile passes on the set. Drove all the way out to Tucson for a drag week a few years ago. Drove out, made 10 1/4 passes with burnouts, drove back. Still have a smidge of tread left on em. Handled the road pretty decently too.

With your beefed up rear suspension, you should have a bunch of nice grip when the roads in SD are warm.

TheGovernment

Established Member
Ive had both on my car. 640hp at the wheels. Id say the MT maybe have a tad more grip but the nt05s are wayyyyyyy better at anything but full out dragging. The MTs sway at highway speeds and wear out twice as fast. I didnt even get 1000kms out of my MT and can get 2000 to 3000kms out of my NT05s.
In fact, I just put new 315/35/20 on the shelby yesterday.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
hmm... looks like if I want to use my factory 20x9.5 SVT wheel (which I do) it wont be with Nitto. 315/35R20 is way too wide for a 9.5 rim. 305/35R20 S/S looks like what Ill be running.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
hmm... looks like if I want to use my factory 20x9.5 SVT wheel (which I do) it wont be with Nitto. 315/35R20 is way too wide for a 9.5 rim. 305/35R20 S/S looks like what Ill be running.
Really not as bad as you’d think as it’s tall.

And I’ve ran 325/40/18 M&H on Darkstars and really liked them
-J

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Ive had both on my car. 640hp at the wheels. Id say the MT maybe have a tad more grip but the nt05s are wayyyyyyy better at anything but full out dragging. The MTs sway at highway speeds and wear out twice as fast. I didnt even get 1000kms out of my MT and can get 2000 to 3000kms out of my NT05s.
In fact, I just put new 315/35/20 on the shelby yesterday.

Hey @TheGovernment, you should bring it out to the car show at Birchwood Ford on Regent avenue this Sunday if you're out & about. I'd love to see & hear those Dynatech long tubes you put on.

Users who are viewing this thread