NT05 555 Or Invos?

imeyers302

Established Member
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Velgen VMB5 20" setup and can't decide on tires. Was either going to do 275/40 front and 315/35 rear Invos or 275/35 front and 305/30 rear NT05. Should i stick the the 255 fronts they have in their package or go to the 275 in the front like i wanted? Guy at CJ mentioned the 555 for the front and 555r for the rear but I don't want a competition tire with a 100 tread life rating for the rear. Car is not a daily anymore so I am not so concerned about the rain.

Last edited:

paulyboy928

Established Member
i have 275/35 invos and it's spin class. i'm lucky if i can hook on a second gear roll. Since your car isn't a daily, why don't you want the 555r or something similar? you'd be able to get traction any time you wanted.

imeyers302

Established Member
i have 275/35 invos and it's spin class. i'm lucky if i can hook on a second gear roll. Since your car isn't a daily, why don't you want the 555r or something similar? you'd be able to get traction any time you wanted.

Because I put about 5000 miles on a year and don't want to have to replace the rear tires every year. I have to imagine the NT05 will hook better than invo. I don't want a DR on the rear. I like taking turns.

bcass

Established Member
I have the NT05 for summer tires and I am thrilled with them. Second set in a row, will probably go for a third when these wear out. Plenty of traction, and twice the life of the 555r

evil281

Established Member
Because I put about 5000 miles on a year and don't want to have to replace the rear tires every year. I have to imagine the NT05 will hook better than invo. I don't want a DR on the rear. I like taking turns.

With an nt555r you would not be replacing the tire every year if you only drive 5k miles. I have had mine for about 4500 miles and I have a lot of hp to spin these tires but still have maybe 50-60% life left in them. Depending how you drive I think these tires average 10-15k life.

imeyers302

Established Member
With an nt555r you would not be replacing the tire every year if you only drive 5k miles. I have had mine for about 4500 miles and I have a lot of hp to spin these tires but still have maybe 50-60% life left in them. Depending how you drive I think these tires average 10-15k life.

Isn't the 555r a softer sidewall than an NT05? I know you have to compromise somewhere and cornering grip is a higher priority than all out off the line traction. I figure anything is better than the 255 P Zeros on there now which spin the entire way through 2nd gear. My other option is to just order the wheels and go with a MPSS or something like that from another vendor.

evil281

Established Member
Isn't the 555r a softer sidewall than an NT05? I know you have to compromise somewhere and cornering grip is a higher priority than all out off the line traction. I figure anything is better than the 255 P Zeros on there now which spin the entire way through 2nd gear. My other option is to just order the wheels and go with a MPSS or something like that from another vendor.

The nt05 does have a stiffer sidewall from what I have heard and I'm sure you would notice a huge difference if you ran a 15" wheel with these tires but with 20's I'm not sure you will really notice much. If cornering is more important wouldn't a squared setup be better?

imeyers302

Established Member
The nt05 does have a stiffer sidewall from what I have heard and I'm sure you would notice a huge difference if you ran a 15" wheel with these tires but with 20's I'm not sure you will really notice much. If cornering is more important wouldn't a squared setup be better?

Steeda uses a 275/315 setup on their Q650 and that thing is supposed to handle like it's on rails. If 1there was a car I was modeling mine after that's the one. 80% of the way there.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...ustang-steeda-q650-street-smart-track-deadly/

paulyboy928

Established Member
I would absolutely consider the NT05's for the rear over the Invo's. that being said, invos up front and NT05's rear would be the route i would go given your choices.

Paul.

Established Member
I'd do NT05s up front and NT05Rs in 315/35r20 out back. I have the NT05Rs and they're fantastic, especially for a driver. With a 20" wheel, you'll have plenty of grip when turning corners. These aren't big balloon mushroom tires.

imeyers302

Established Member
I'd do NT05s up front and NT05Rs in 315/35r20 out back. I have the NT05Rs and they're fantastic, especially for a driver. With a 20" wheel, you'll have plenty of grip when turning corners. These aren't big balloon mushroom tires.

99% set on NT05 for front and rear. I think there are 2 compounds for the NT05. On nitto site they have a 200 treadwear and a 140 treadwear version. I assume the 140 version is a softer stickier compound.

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt05-max-performance-tire/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread