Now What?? Rebuild or Sell

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Hi Fellas,

I'm just doing a bit of thinking out loud here,but would appreciate some feedback.

I have an '01 Cobra 'Vert with 50,000 miles. I blew a sparkplug out of the head back in october. At the time the local SVT dealer put a helacoil and new plug in,but it came back with a knock in the engine that they diagnosed as most likely a cracked piston due to some material from the plug damaging it. I had a local mustang mechanic listen to the engine and he came to the same conclusion.So I parked it,bought a daily driver for work.

I was going to sell it as is but as you guys well know,the market has dropped out of these cars and in this condition,I'm not going to get much for it.I was hoping for $13,000 usd. This is not looking likely and I'm starting to think I should just keep the car,fix it and drive it cause I love it..

So how much am I looking at to fix it? Should I rebuild the whole bottom end? Do I need to replace the head with the helacoil? If I rebuild I will go forged. What is a realistic value for this car now? thanks guys!
:beer:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
If you love it- fix it and make it better in the process. If you are impatient or do not have the money- try to sell it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
With a dead engine I don't see you getting more than 9000-10,000 max for the car.

You can pick up high mileage 99/01 cars for around 11,000 now if you look around. So that definitely is working against you with a dead engine in the car.

As far as the helacoil in the head it's probably alright for normal driving. If you like to actually "drive" your car then I'd recomend replacing at least that one head.

Given your situation, you might be better off getting a crate motor to drop in to the car. You could go factory replacement allt he way to a big bore setup if you wanted to spend the money.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I think that the money you would lose on selling the value of the car with the bad engine vs what you could get for the car with a good engine would pay for a rebuild. Does that make sense? So, it is probably a toss up, either way you are gonna be out quite a bit of money to sell or rebuild.

I would just rebuild!!!! Or better yet... forged and bored.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
brkntrxn said:
I think that the money you would lose on selling the value of the car with the bad engine vs what you could get for the car with a good engine would pay for a rebuild. Does that make sense? So, it is probably a toss up, either way you are gonna be out quite a bit of money to sell or rebuild.

I would just rebuild!!!! Or better yet... forged and bored.

Yep I know what your saying...if I spend $4K to fix it,would I get more than $15-16K? i doubt it...

I don't have a payment on it,not to say I couldn't pay some debt down if I sold it.

Hmmm due for a raise in April,maybe that will make my decision for me..thanks for the input guys..

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
The head should have been repaired with a Timesert instead of a helicoil, a Timesert is much stronger than the factory threads. I'd buy an 03-04 Cobra shortblock from karkraft right now while they are cheap.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
The head should have been repaired with a Timesert instead of a helicoil, a Timesert is much stronger than the factory threads. I'd buy an 03-04 Cobra shortblock from karkraft right now while they are cheap.

Assuming my block is still ok,wouldn't it be cheaper to buy forged rods,pistons and a rebuild kit? Granted if the block is f**cked then this makes sense,but I'd like to keep the aluminum block if possible.

Thanks

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
CanuckCobra said:
Assuming my block is still ok,wouldn't it be cheaper to buy forged rods,pistons and a rebuild kit? Granted if the block is f**cked then this makes sense,but I'd like to keep the aluminum block if possible.

Thanks

FOr the reasons of having an iron block and the fact that the 03.04 shortblock doesn't have ARP2000 hardwear and the piston to wall clearances are too tight I would do just as you suggest. Buy the parts and have it rebuilt using your block.

I like the VT Engine's Cobra Sportsman option myself. Retains the aluminum block and it's a .020 over shortblock with quality forged componants. $2900 from VT. All you've got to do is swap over the heads, intake, timing chains etc. and throw it back in your car.

Stitch

Established Member
I had a plug blow on mine about a year ago. Put a Timesert in it. I think the plug being blown out caused a valve seal to be damaged as I have oil burn on decel. I'm planning to eventually rebuild the engine.

You could easily pick up a set of 03/04 heads or even 01 heads (saw a guy posting brand new 01 heads for <$500). Then buy yourself a set of factory 03/04 Rods/Pistons for a reasonable price. ($750 maybe, not sure)

If you tear it down, replace the oil pump and oil pump gears with a set from VT.

The only thing left after that is labor and misc. parts.

Popping spark plugs seems to be a common problem even on 03 cars until they added more threads in 04.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Stitch said:
I had a plug blow on mine about a year ago. Put a Timesert in it. I think the plug being blown out caused a valve seal to be damaged as I have oil burn on decel. I'm planning to eventually rebuild the engine.

You could easily pick up a set of 03/04 heads or even 01 heads (saw a guy posting brand new 01 heads for <$500). Then buy yourself a set of factory 03/04 Rods/Pistons for a reasonable price. ($750 maybe, not sure)

If you tear it down, replace the oil pump and oil pump gears with a set from VT.

The only thing left after that is labor and misc. parts.

Popping spark plugs seems to be a common problem even on 03 cars until they added more threads in 04.

I think the combination of steel plugs, poor coolant flow in the rear of the heads and not enough threads is the ultimate cause of this BS. I like the idea of doing '03+ heads and internals..sounds likethe best bang for the buck..Any point in porting the heads before putting them on? Should I use my cams or look for comlpete '03 heads?

Thanks

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
CanuckCobra said:
I think the combination of steel plugs, poor coolant flow in the rear of the heads and not enough threads is the ultimate cause of this BS. I like the idea of doing '03+ heads and internals..sounds likethe best bang for the buck..Any point in porting the heads before putting them on? Should I use my cams or look for comlpete '03 heads?

Thanks

03 heads flow plenty like they are without portwork for most applications. Remember the 03 heads still have too few spark plug threads, only the 04 heads got 9 threads.

Torch10th said:
I like the VT Engine's Cobra Sportsman option myself. Retains the aluminum block and it's a .020 over shortblock with quality forged componants. $2900 from VT. All you've got to do is swap over the heads, intake, timing chains etc. and throw it back in your car.

$2900 does not include the core charge they will throw at you if you don't have a nice aluminum block and good forged steel crank to send back as a core.

I like the aluminum block a LOT better also, but for a budget build up you can not beat the value of the 03/04 shortblock that karkraft is offering and there is NO core charge.

Ford Authorized Reman using new Ford Parts including New Forged pistons, New Manley/SVT rods, New billet steel crankshaft, cast iron block, oil pump, pick-up, windage tray and Mustang Oil pan! $2650

http://www.karkraft.com/short_blocks.htm

Stitch

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
03 heads flow plenty like they are without portwork for most applications. Remember the 03 heads still have too few spark plug threads, only the 04 heads got 9 threads.

$2900 does not include the core charge they will throw at you if you don't have a nice aluminum block and good forged steel crank to send back as a core.

I like the aluminum block a LOT better also, but for a budget build up you can not beat the value of the 03/04 shortblock that karkraft is offering and there is NO core charge.

Ford Authorized Reman using new Ford Parts including New Forged pistons, New Manley/SVT rods, New billet steel crankshaft, cast iron block, oil pump, pick-up, windage tray and Mustang Oil pan! $2650

http://www.karkraft.com/short_blocks.htm

Odd that the 99/01 shortblock is only $100 less.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
keep in mind that if you don't plan on using forced induction, the 8.5 compression 03 motor may equal a pretty weak NA motor.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
quadcammer said:
keep in mind that if you don't plan on using forced induction, the 8.5 compression 03 motor may equal a pretty weak NA motor.

excellent point. stock 99/01 Cobras have 9.85:1 compression. A drop of a point and a half of compression will make and already weak low-end, even worse.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Torch10th said:
excellent point. stock 99/01 Cobras have 9.85:1 compression. A drop of a point and a half of compression will make and already weak low-end, even worse.

this is true, what compression is the 03/04 Mach motors 10.1:1?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
yup Mach motor is 10:1. Very minor increase over the 99/01 Cobra motors. the more aggressive cams in the 99/01 likely make up the lsight power loss over the mach motors.

I want the 03/04 heads though. If I ever get to the point of rebuilding my engine I'll be getting rid of the "c" heads.

slick4_6

Established Member
I think, at one time, the guy selling parts for 10% over cost was selling FR-500 heads for $750 a piece. Unless you could get a deal on used 04 Cobra heads, that would be the way I would want to go.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
slick4_6 said:
I think, at one time, the guy selling parts for 10% over cost was selling FR-500 heads for $750 a piece. Unless you could get a deal on used 04 Cobra heads, that would be the way I would want to go.

Great idea..I wonder what the thread count is on the plugs in those,not sure but I seem to think I heard the '03 and Mach ones flowed about the same as the FR500's...sounds like a set of '04's might be the best bet...I would love to do the FR500 cam's though..

Users who are viewing this thread