Now this stuff is rice!!

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
actually its not. They are called dress up items and Mustang owners have been using them for years

SVT04

Established Member
JSpeed said:
actually its not. They are called dress up items and Mustang owners have been using them for years

Maybe not, but these so called "dress-up" items can be taken too far very easily to the point where it becomes just a bunch of tasteless junk hung on every concievable spot........then it's just :xpl:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
JSpeed said:

I use dress-up replacements all the time on my engine bay but the parts I get at least look like the parts they are replacing. The stuff I put a link to are sheets of stainless steel sheet metal that actually mask the parts they are covering. At cars shows people don't want to see glowing stainless steel sheet metal. They want to see the engine.

This stuff is garbage plain and simple. :xpl:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
I noticed there weren't any such SS covers in the Cobra section...

Good thinking - with an engine bay that pretty we wouldn't have any reason to use 'em!!

:xpl:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
1967eleanor said:
some of it is overbord others can be tastefull some cars can pull it off others cannot

Yep. I have seen that done before but on a more custom level with classic muscle cars.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
Yep. I have seen that done before but on a more custom level with classic muscle cars.

Last year at a car show I saw a Mustang using this stainless sheet metal stuff covering the entire bay. It totally distracted from the engine itself. I couldn't see the engine and I was completely distracted by the glare from the sun bouncing off the stainless sheets. It looked rediculous. To illustrate my point here are two pictures from the site. I don't think there is one person in this forum that would ever put their money into this garbage.

MGVC207%20STAINLESS%20VALVE%20COVERS%20GT%20ONLY.JPG

MGHP100%203-PC%20HOOD%20PANEL%20STOCK%20HOOD%20ONLY.JPG

Given all the Mustangs I have seen in the last two years since this stuff has come to market and only seeing one car ever using it, I'd say Whoever makes this needless bling really missed the point of what dress up parts are supposed to be.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Not rice. If they were putting Cobra badges on the fenders or NOS stickers on the rocker panels then it would be rice. Just adding some underhood bling does not make it rice though IMHO. My Cobra has some billet interior pieces, does that make my car rice too?

U.M.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i wouldnt put near that much. Id just get the UPR billet underhood dressup kit and stick with that. Its plenty enough for under the hood to clean it up and make it look presentable

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Uncle Meat said:
Not rice. If they were putting Cobra badges on the fenders or NOS stickers on the rocker panels then it would be rice. Just adding some underhood bling does not make it rice though IMHO. My Cobra has some billet interior pieces, does that make my car rice too?

U.M.
Billet pieces replace parts, these SS parts just cover parts...
It's like the difference between a real poncho and a Sears poncho!!

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.

Folks - read the damn messages. No one said that after-market billet dressup pieces are rice. It was stated twice that these specific stainless steel pieces look like rice. It was also stated clearly twice that the billet pieces look like the parts they are rplacing that are stock except that they are made of billet. It was also said that the stainless stuff in the pictures doesn't even look like the stuff being replaced because the stainless pieces are actually made to mask the engine more than replace the parts.

How about taking time to discern what the hell you are reading and looking at in pictures to boot before saying things that were never being said to begin with................Geezzzzus

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Tidoh said:
Billet pieces replace parts, these SS parts just cover parts...
It's like the difference between a real poncho and a Sears poncho!!

Tidoh - you are about the only person here (except for a minor few) who really gets exactly what was being said.

In reading the majority of the responses it is striking how now adays people just seem to gloss over everything and never take the time anymore to understand. It seems to happen in both listening and the written word as well. No wonder the quality of the work ethic in this country is in a death spiral !! :fm:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
Tidoh - you are about the only person here (except for a minor few) who really gets exactly what was being said.
Well, I might be one of the few that actually enjoys reading most if not all of the posts in a thread, not just reading the OP and jumping to a new reply. Saved myself quite a bit of embarassment, too!!

Actually, I was really just trying to throw an inside joke at Uncle Meat with an obscure Frank Zappa lyric (the poncho stuff). Guess he didn't come back...

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
Last year at a car show I saw a Mustang using this stainless sheet metal stuff covering the entire bay. It totally distracted from the engine itself. I couldn't see the engine and I was completely distracted by the glare from the sun bouncing off the stainless sheets. It looked rediculous. To illustrate my point here are two pictures from the site. I don't think there is one person in this forum that would ever put their money into this garbage.

MGVC207%20STAINLESS%20VALVE%20COVERS%20GT%20ONLY.JPG

MGHP100%203-PC%20HOOD%20PANEL%20STOCK%20HOOD%20ONLY.JPG

Given all the Mustangs I have seen in the last two years since this stuff has come to market and only seeing one car ever using it, I'd say Whoever makes this needless bling really missed the point of what dress up parts are supposed to be.

I'll say it again...I've seen it done before but on a more custom level with muscle cars. They did it with polished sheets of chrome so you could see the underneath of their $50,000 dollar chromed out engines.

Users who are viewing this thread