Now this R is interesting

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
interesting "R"

Is that legal, to re-body a car and transfer the vin #s? If so, does the buyer get the original chassis? I wouldn't want to be challenged later, if I was the buyer, by someone holding the "original" body as the correct car and me having a fake, like I've seen happen with some Shelby deals. I think this is an important issue. I know body shops make repairs and transfer #s, but the rarity of this auto deserves alot of thought on this matter. Anyone have a thought besides me?

95rcobra

I checked that VIN # to my list and it checks out as 95 Cobra R # 162 and was built on 3/1/95 the same day as mine. Like Gene says I dont think they could have gotten all the correct #'s transfered to the new body. they probably had to make some new ones up. these vin #'s are on all the body panels and front and rear bumpers. it would be very hard to make this car like the original that came off the line. But it would be close to the eye thats not sure what they are looking for! It would make a good track car or project car but to get it back to original condition that might be asking alot.

Later,95rcobra.

-----------------------------------
1995 Cobra R model #185 born 3/1/95
2003 Redfire Cobra coupe #????

SL 1993 R

Established Member
This should be information that is included in a registry for the cars. A rebodied car would be worth less than an original, IMHO.. Has anyone thought about putting together a Cobra R specific registry, like SAAC does.. It would obviously be smaller, but a hard copy version, might be something someone should consider...

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
registry?

Originally posted by SL 1993 R
This should be information that is included in a registry for the cars. A rebodied car would be worth less than an original, IMHO.. Has anyone thought about putting together a Cobra R specific registry, like SAAC does.. It would obviously be smaller, but a hard copy version, might be something someone should consider...

Lot of work, lot of money, club= dues? cooperation! Lets take a poll of interested parties that would want their names and addresses published for all to see where their "R" car is located in this day and age of low life scum car thieves. It's hard to do anything nice nowadays, sorry to be negative.

boogie

Established Member
I know on the ZR1.net site, they have a section that lists known wrecked ZR1s and the VIN#. It does not have location or owner info. Maybe something like that could be put on this site?

Terry Moenich

Established Member
The new body will not have the convertible floor pan. This car will never have any value, it's just a Mustang with some R parts now!

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
floor pan?

Originally posted by Terry Moenich
The new body will not have the convertible floor pan. This car will never have any value, it's just a Mustang with some R parts now!

Terry,

I agree about the rebodied "R" value. But, I thought I saw on this forum a couple of weeks ago, that the vert floor pan didn't make production on the '95? I've looked at mine, and I can't find a difference from a regular coupe pan. Please enlighten me what to look for.

Thanks,

Gene

Last edited:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
At the pinchweld area at the front of the floor behind where the lower fender bolts is a bracket for the convertible bolt-on crossmember. Here is apto that shows it pretty well. I hope it turns out.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
You wouldn't by any chance have the same shot from the other side would you?

I would like to see if your Reverse Lights are hooked up... and if so... what hardware is used.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
That is great... I can *almost* see it... it looks as though it has a big plug that attaches to the reverse light switch... there the black thing? I am guessing. My car doesn't have that :(

Dave

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Removing a VIN from a vehicle and attaching it to another is a FELONY. This car will be forever documented directly from the info I just printed off of ebay in the SCOA Registry. I pitty any future owner that gets screwed on this one.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Re: registry?

Originally posted by Cobra R Man
Lot of work, lot of money, club= dues? cooperation! Lets take a poll of interested parties that would want their names and addresses published for all to see where their "R" car is located in this day and age of low life scum car thieves. It's hard to do anything nice nowadays, sorry to be negative.

I can create the webpage for it quite easily, and host it on my site. (unless it becomes super popular, and exceeds my bandwidth)

Just need the info. Mr Groth, contact me and we can get this rolling ASAP.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Tom,

Is that vehicles vin going to be displayed publicly on SCOA.ORG so that a potential future owner has the ability to see that the vehicle was rebodied before he buys it?

a94cobra

Established Member
I spoke with the guy via email, and yes he changed all the VIN #'s. I guess he doesn't know its a crime.

Users who are viewing this thread