Now the TOB don't squeak no mo. What gives?

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Spent a half hour on the phone with Ford today. It was actually a very nice call with a very nice lady on the other end. I called SVT, too, but that totally different.
Anyhoo, they told me to call roadside assistance and just have the car towed to the dealer I want to work on the car(since they fall in the 30 mile radius of my home). So, when I came home from work, I cleaned out the car to get it ready for it's Sat morning trip to Cowles Ford(so far, so good with them). Started up the car to get a last listen to the squeal, and it ain't there. Let it idle for a good 5 minutes. No squeal. wtf? I even pushed the clutch pedal in several times. Nothing. So now I see that I have to drive it how many hundreds of miles before it acts up again? Will they still be able to diagnose anything if it makes no noise?? The car will have to go anyway. There is too much stuff that needs attention(off center steering wheel, pop in rear, alignment, tire balance), but now I'm a bit worried that they will pass the tob and instead I'll end up in catastrophic failure in the middle of the interstate somewhere.

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
man, i know what you mean, mine squeeked the other night, and hasnt done it since... our tob is one SOB!!!

Marc

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
No joke. And when it WAS squeaking, it was VERY pronounced. Could not be ignored. You'd think it was a bad belt. Great. They're gonna give it the ok and send me on my way and it's gonna disintegrate in the middle of I95 during rush hour. Just my luck.

FordFreak

Established Member
Mine squeeked from 350 miles to 8,000 miles. It hasnt squeeked yet and I now have 9,500 miles.

I think it was the upr quad and adjuster.
*It doesnt put any load on the bearing when the clutch is out.

cobra101

Established Member
Mine squeled for several 1000 miles but went away soon after a tech adjusted the cable (by hand). It took him 30 seconds and the pedal pressure was greatly reduced. The pedal has gotten a littl stiffer but the tob has not squeled for the last 6k miles. i would say as long as it is not too far gone, an adjustment or firewall/quadrant can get rid of the squel.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
I'll have to look into that adjustment. I'm sure they'll do that to get out of doing any real hard work(i.e. expensive), but, the clutch has not been adjusted since I bought the car. And if that's the case, maybe an adjustment will solve the problem and I'll only have to be a bit more attentive next time.:) I'll keep my fingers crossed.

cobra101

Established Member
Yeah, turned out mine was not adjusted right from ford. At 9k miles, that tech adjusted mine real quick. The pedal pressure became 50% easier and the tob stopped squeling about 1k miles after that.

good luck.

Silver 03 Cobra

It usually gets really quiet and just when you think the TOB noise is gone it snaps the TOB retainer and then you have two problems.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
I had almost the same thing. My TOB was squeeling for a few hundred miles, so i took it to the dealer. The day after i dropped by to see how things were going and the tech told me he couldnt replicate the problem. I simply informed him it didnt do it 100% of the time, and more so after some hard runs on the highway. He simply said "ok, we'll order the parts". 3 days later and the car had a whole new clutch, flywheel, TOB, etc..

cobra101

Established Member
Mine hasn't made a peep since about 8k miles ago. It was definetly the quick adjustment that guy did to the car. took him 30 seconds with no tools and then the clutch was way softer (It was not the adjustment listed in the manual, pulling clutch up). As I said, the squel went away shortly after that and has not appeared for the 8k miles (Car has 20k miles now, last 7k with pulley). I hope it isn't just hiding and ready to snap like you say it can be. Either way ford won't fix it if it ain't making noise or showing signs (ohh and the pulley wouldn't help either). It feels good but it is getting a bit harder to press in the peddle. Also, It smells (like clutch I believe) when I rev at WOT 5k and higher. What's that about? There seems to be no slip looking at my rpms when driving and no signs when looking at my dyno sheet. I think it needs another adjustment (damn stock quadrant). I guess I am just putting off the inevitable, a new quadrant and firewall adjuster! I hate getting under that dash or even taking out the front seat to make it easier. I know...Suck it Up, and I will. UPR seems to get good feedback around, right? I even heard those who had a squel simply put in the new quad/adjuster, and the squel went away.

-SSL (Sorry So Long) :)

Last edited:

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Drove the car to the post office and back this morning. Sure enough, the chirp chirp chirp had returned when I pulled it into the garage. So, the tow truck is supposed to be here in the next 30 minutes.
I hope a simple adjustment will take care of it. I don't really tolerate my car in the shop(warrenty or not) for any length of time. Just irks me I'm making payments on a dealer wallflower. But, fact of life I guess. We'll know more next week when I get the call.

cgg074

Established Member
I left mine at the dealer with ONLY 714 miles on it.

The clutch chatters like hell and when I got to the dealer, the TOB had a squeal that went away when pushing a little bit the clutch pedal.

There's also a squeal in the front whenever I move the steering wheel.

Can you believe it? Only 714 miles. Less than a month.

:fm:

Silver03

Established Member
TOB - Throw Out Bearing

I had everything in my tranny replaced under warranty because mine was doing the exact same thing you guys describe. First the noise was intermittent, then it was all the time. Eventually, the clutch could be smelled and there was a bad vibe in the clutch pedal. Ended up that the TOB retainer snapped on mine damaging the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, input shaft and transmission case. All replaced under warranty with all my mods on the car. The tech wrote in the invoice that the cause was "poor machining" of the input shaft that caused the IS guide sleeve to break.

Oh, BTW, there is an inspection cover on the transmission case so you can look at the TOB and retainer I believe.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Mine has also stopped chirping at this point, but I think the vibration in the pedal is comming back.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I had mine replaced 5 months ago, and the sound juuuust started to come back a bit. FORD only replaced the TOB itself though, nothing else (which I was kinda pissed about). Im just going to get a new one when I do the clutch, flywheel, ect.

Coiled03

Established Member
Let me summarize my TOB experience so far:

1) Buy car with 8K miles on it.
2) Drive car for about 100 miles, hear TOB chirping.
3) Take car to dealer for 1st TOB replacement.
4) Pick car up, and 10 minutes of driving later, hear TOB replacement chirping already.
5) Go back to dealer and bitch to service manager.
6) Dealer orders new TOB kit, and is installing it as we speak (or better be, since my car is in the shop).

Not pleasant, and I'm none too happy about it, but at least it's all under warranty.

HOLY CRAP! As I was writing this, the dealer just called and said my car was done! I can't believe it.....done it about 6 hours, the way it should be. WOOHOO!

03DOHC

Established Member
Dealer replaced my TOB, clutch, PP, and pilot bearing in June. Clutch started chattering in July. August came around and chattering got really bad and then the retainer broke. Clutch makes a clackity noise, just like racerat's sound file.

She's been at the dealer since last week. I was told the part is backordered and they don't know when they can get it. I suggested a new tranny to them. We'll see.

Coiled03

Established Member
Originally posted by Coiled03
Let me summarize my TOB experience so far:

1) Buy car with 8K miles on it.
2) Drive car for about 100 miles, hear TOB chirping.
3) Take car to dealer for 1st TOB replacement.
4) Pick car up, and 10 minutes of driving later, hear TOB replacement chirping already.
5) Go back to dealer and bitch to service manager.
6) Dealer orders new TOB kit, and is installing it as we speak (or better be, since my car is in the shop).

Not pleasant, and I'm none too happy about it, but at least it's all under warranty.

HOLY CRAP! As I was writing this, the dealer just called and said my car was done! I can't believe it.....done it about 6 hours, the way it should be. WOOHOO!

Just wanted to update my situation, and the results of the new TOB/transmission plate TSB install. I just picked the car up about 20 minutes ago, and two things are immediately apparent:

1) The clutch is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter....I'm talking like 50-60% lighter. I don't know if that's due to an adjustment of some kind, as some have suggested, or the new retainer sleeve, or what. I just know it's so much lighter that I thought I put my foot through the floor the first time I pressed it.

2) There is no more TOB noise once again. :rockon: :thumbsup:

I can't speak for how well this will last, but for the time being, this looks to be a good fix.

cgg074

Established Member
The dealer replaced the Flywheel, Pressure Plate and Clutch Disk. They had hot spots; that's why it chattered pretty bad since I got it with 24 miles.

Now it is very smooth and NO chatter at all.

I will baby it for 500 miles for a proper break in.

I also noticed that the clutch pedal is A LOT lighter than before. Less pedal effort.

I am very happy now!
:D

Users who are viewing this thread