Now she's a little bouncy...I just can't frickin win!!!

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
So yeah, after much fabbing, modifying, and grinding, my coilovers are on and the car corners tight as hell (took a few sharp turns on the way home tonight) and sits very nice and low. I bought the D&D Motorsports front coilovers that work with the factory struts. The front end wheel gap on both sides is about the width of 1.5 fingers and the car has just a very slight rake to it, which I like. But my problem is that the car bounces a bit up front. I never had that problem with my Eibach springs. The coilovers are almost all the way down (3 grooves of adjustment left...about 3/4 of an inch lower if I wanted) and I'm not sure if I need to raise the car a bit (more grooves at the bottom of the coilover) or what. Obviously the car is not alligned yet since I just finshed her up about an hour and a half ago, but I don't think that's going to make a difference.

Has anyone who has, or had, coilovers ever experienced this problem when you first put them on? If so, what did yo do to remedy it? Of course, I'd like to keep the car's stance the way it is, but I'm not going to sacrifice ride quality just to look really low. Any help or advice??

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
The way I originally had the coilovers installed was incorrect...thanks to lack of directions from the manufacturer I bought the coilover kit from.

Strut.jpg

abef2f3ddbae4a37e707f8921dd69e88.jpg

Now, see the pic of the factory strut? See the wider but shorter black cylinder-like object next to it? That thing is two pieces. The top part is about 2.5" tall from top to bottom and is hard rubber covering and infused to metal...it's basically the shape of an upside down shallow cup with a hole in it. (it goes over the very top of the strut)

Anyways, when I assembled the strut and installed it on to the car, I did not modify that "cup-like" bushing I just explained to you. So what was hapening was that extra 1.5" - 2" of side wall (imagine the sides of a cup) were pushing down on and compressing that coilover spring that much, not allowing the spring to properly do it's job...hence the severe bouncing. There was a 1.5" - 2" gap from the top of the spring to strut which was not supposed to be there, so nothing was doing it's job correctly.

So what I did to remedy the problem was to disassemble the front end again and I took those "cup-like" bushings off. I then put each one (one at a time) in a bench vise and I took a bandsaw to the side and through the center, then flipped it over to the other side and did the same. That basically turned that upside down "cup-like" bushing into an upside down "plate-like" bushing (no more sides. Getting rid of the sides eliminate there being any space between parts and the spring getting over compressed. The car handles and rides awesome now.

I hope I explained that well enough for everyone who's read this to understand it...

Users who are viewing this thread