Now I know why UPR x-pipes are so cheap...

Ninjaeric

Established Member
I had the same problem...hit a small piece of wood on the freeway and both the cats were destroyed...bought some metallic 200 core high flow cats, I think from ninosport, and welded them in...Much Better!!! In doing this I found out that the upr "high flow" cats are 400 core ceramic cats which are basically the same as the stock ones.

Don't even mess around trying to add cats to that upr crap! Just look in the market, and buy a used Bassani catted x-pipe. If you get the stainless version, it should outlast the car, so no worries buying "used". I see you are also from MA, so going catless, really isn't an option, if you want to go through inspection legitimately. The Bassani cats are high flow units, so there is very minimal power lost over a catless setup anyway (maybe 5-10hp, at most), so unless you like a loud raspy exhaust, then there is no reason not to run the cats anyway. I played all of the games running the "offroad" exhaust setups on my stangs when I was younger, but the hassle of worrying about how I was going to pass inspection every year grew old really quickly!

+1 Had the Bassani ceramic cats on my 01 Cobra last well over 100k. Had one pair cracked after the car bottomed out pretty bad after doing coilovers. Their catted mid pipe is high quality.

*P*Grass

i need to get 600+ on 20$
Established Member
i DD my cobra and ive had my bassani catted x for going on 3years and no issues yet. *knock on wood*

MY-VETTE

Sports Car Junkie!
Established Member
Some of you may recall I had fitment issues with my UPR catted x-pipe when installing it.

Well, lately I've been hearing a little rattle from the cat on the passenger side, roughly around 2,225 rpm... almost sounds like a "buzzing" noise.

So tonight I reached under the car and started thumping the area around the cat with the palm of my hand and sure enough, the internals of the cat are already rattling away in there!

I haven't even had the x-pipe on there for a month and they're already becoming junk! What a bunch of BS, thanks UPR! :fm:

And looking at the cats, I can understand why they suck so bad. They are TINY, and add a ton of restriction to the system. Smaller cats = less platnum = cheaper cost, so that's why UPR uses them on their pipes.

I feel your pain! I bought a UPR X-Pipe for my 93 Cobra & what a joke it was to install, Direct fit? My ass it took 2 of us over an 1hr to mount that junk & when we did get it installed it leaked like a champ at the flanges! I guess you get what you pay for when it come's to there price's & I learned the hard way. I always went with either BBK, MAC or Bassini for my Fox Body's & as far as I'm concern UPR is a JOKE!!

greengt88

Established Member
What other X/pipe options are there, that will sound similar to the UPR, I'm loving the UPR O/R w/ MAC 3" but i want a high quality x. i think my bassani leaks, it's the 5pc. version. i've tried it w/out the cats and it sounds like glasspacks under a load. sounds great free reving though. Can't stand the ffffffrrrrrpppptttt!! blatty sound. Too quiet with the cats installed. What should i do?

Users who are viewing this thread