Now I know why UPR x-pipes are so cheap...

UncleDan

Established Member
Some of you may recall I had fitment issues with my UPR catted x-pipe when installing it.

Well, lately I've been hearing a little rattle from the cat on the passenger side, roughly around 2,225 rpm... almost sounds like a "buzzing" noise.

So tonight I reached under the car and started thumping the area around the cat with the palm of my hand and sure enough, the internals of the cat are already rattling away in there!

I haven't even had the x-pipe on there for a month and they're already becoming junk! What a bunch of BS, thanks UPR! :fm:

And looking at the cats, I can understand why they suck so bad. They are TINY, and add a ton of restriction to the system. Smaller cats = less platnum = cheaper cost, so that's why UPR uses them on their pipes.

Avispa

Established Member
Jim D'Amore of JDM Engineering tells me the Ford catted H pipe is the best thing available, not always for power (but it's good enough) but for not trashing your motor.

When the rest of you guys get into your 50s and get ringing in your ears you will really come to appreciate stock exhaust. This getting old crap is for the birds.

bitemark

Established Member
when I get old I will worry about that.... Right now bassani x and stingers sounds are much appreciated

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Jim D'Amore of JDM Engineering tells me the Ford catted H pipe is the best thing available, not always for power (but it's good enough) but for not trashing your motor.

I don't think putting an aftermarket x or h pipe is going to trash your motor :shrug:

Jsko

Established Member
I ran a offroad UPR with my Magnaflow, and it honestly isn't that loud at all. Magnaflow is pretty quiet compared to other exhaust systems out there, and its not loud until you are WOT. I don't think you would have issues running converter-less .

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
+1 Maganaflow with a Off Road X-pipe is not very loud util WOT, IMO thats the only way magnaflow sounds best, dont think it sounds nice when their is cats in place.

Spoolx

Established Member
Thought about it, but I'm worried it will be too loud. I think I would need to hear the setup first hand on someone else's Cobra before I went catless.

love the sound of mine, its not loud at all...
magnaflow catback and upr off road x

moonltgold

When the rest of you guys get into your 50s and get ringing in your ears you will really come to appreciate stock exhaust. This getting old crap is for the birds.

I run the JBAs, catted X and Bassanis, and the key to keeping my ear ringing down was doing the (Bassani) tailpipe baffles. Gives it a deeper pitch with no rasp around town, as long as I stay under 3,500-4,000. Above that, I most likely would be intending to make a little noise.

old ford guy

Established Member
I don't have upr experiance but can tell you that stainless works LT's, X, and stainless works 3" exhaust will take care of that ringing problem for good !!!

I cant hear you, what did ya say ?????

cobralove90

Established Member
so the upr catted x are crap because i have them on right now and if i got to cut the cats out im going to because cant stand the ringing underneath the car

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I ditched the upr o/r x pipe that was on mine and bought bassani catted x along with there catback. Very minimal gains going to a o/r x pipe.

EDIT: I agree upr is junk, there wasn't even a groove on the passenger side of the pipe that meets up with the manifold for a gasket.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Don't even mess around trying to add cats to that upr crap! Just look in the market, and buy a used Bassani catted x-pipe. If you get the stainless version, it should outlast the car, so no worries buying "used". I see you are also from MA, so going catless, really isn't an option, if you want to go through inspection legitimately. The Bassani cats are high flow units, so there is very minimal power lost over a catless setup anyway (maybe 5-10hp, at most), so unless you like a loud raspy exhaust, then there is no reason not to run the cats anyway. I played all of the games running the "offroad" exhaust setups on my stangs when I was younger, but the hassle of worrying about how I was going to pass inspection every year grew old really quickly!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i bought a magn catted xpipe when i first modded the car 2 years ago and it still looks and performs great today. the cats are fine, no rattles and no exhaust leaks. i've got about 20k miles on it, great product especially mated with the stingers :coolman:

UncleDan

Established Member
Don't even mess around trying to add cats to that upr crap! Just look in the market, and buy a used Bassani catted x-pipe. If you get the stainless version, it should outlast the car, so no worries buying "used". I see you are also from MA, so going catless, really isn't an option, if you want to go through inspection legitimately. The Bassani cats are high flow units, so there is very minimal power lost over a catless setup anyway (maybe 5-10hp, at most), so unless you like a loud raspy exhaust, then there is no reason not to run the cats anyway. I played all of the games running the "offroad" exhaust setups on my stangs when I was younger, but the hassle of worrying about how I was going to pass inspection every year grew old really quickly!

I appreciate the words of wisdom man. I was actually at a party last night and a guy there had an 02 GT with a catless x pipe and SLP loudmouth exhaust, and it was RIDICULOUSLY loud. I know my set up isn't exactly the same, but I got the picture! Wayyyy too loud for me. I have heard good things about the bassani products but I'm going go with an even finer product... One hand made by my father.

Users who are viewing this thread