noticed somthing while cleaning IMRCs

Talyon

Bleed Blue
Established Member
my question is why are the primary ports perfictly clean while the secondarys are just filthy. I found this to be the case on the heads and in the lower phylim. sorry no pics.

P.S. haveing now cleaned both the 97s metal and 98s plastic i can say there is no diffrence in the process

LSWHAT??

I was told that the primaries get fuel spray which keeps them clean, while the secondary never see anything.

Talyon

Bleed Blue
Established Member
TheAntiRice96 said:
I was told that the primaries get fuel spray which keeps them clean, while the secondary never see anything.

why didnt i think of that. I think your right

rpepe

RedSnake97
Established Member
Performance difference?

I have had a replacement IMRC in my garage for over 2 years and have not had taken the time to install. Did you notice a difference in the overall performance after you cleaned them?

Also I remember reading a post a long time ago how you can tell if you need to clean or replace. Do you know?

Thanks,
Rich

LSWHAT??

If you don't feel a surge of power at about 3250 rpms to redline, or if the car is bucking and feels choked out, you should clean your IMRC's. I have done it and live in Greeley Colorado, one of my college roommates is from Aurora. We could possibly help you out if you ever wanted to do it on a weekend or something.

I would highly recommend it, made a huge difference for me.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Fuel is correct. The injector only sprays into the primary port, which acts as a cleaner as it passes over the valves and butterflies and through the ports. If the secondary port had fuel sprayed in it we wouldn't have a problem with dirty IMRC's.

That's essentially what sea foam does, passes through both ports and helps clean the secondaries. It helps but isn't a substitute for manually cleaning them. I'm sure it helps keep them from getting dirty as quick though.

LSWHAT??

Definitely not a substitute for cleaning them. I Seafoamed about 5,000 miles before I manually cleaned them.............. I had a hard time getting them to open by hand when I got them out.

Users who are viewing this thread