Not getting the warm and fuzzy on my build

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
So I picked up my car this week from the tuner after replacing some engine items and upping the boost a bit. And the results just don't seem right.
The car is an 04 with built motor, Comp stage 3 cams, JLT high boost, 19 PSI Whipple 2.3. Through the t56. LT headers with E cutouts and Mac catback. My expectations may be high but i also understand there are a lot of factors and numbers aren't everything. But here are the things throwing me off.

1) Car made 587 hp and 519 on 14 psi in its last dyno session. Now it made 588 and 524 on 19 psi.

2) Car had the cammed sound with nice lope before the tune. Now it just sounds like a loud cobra with no or almost no cam. No more lope at all.

I may be missing something obvious or these may be normal numbers and occurrences, but it just wasn't setting right with me. So any feedback would be nice.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Any upgrades to the intercooler system?

Could be iat tune related.

The clutch could have been slipping?

The car was not strapped down properly and had tire slip?

04dreamcobra

Established Member
No upgrade to the intercooler system. was flushed and cleaned last month. I asked about belt slip or traction on the dyno. They said it held perfect.

I should have said earlier too that is was done on 93 octane.

wesking1

Established Member
Is that on a mustang dyno or dyno jet? My last cobra had same setup pretty much 2.3 18lbs comp stage 3 cams long tubes and made 673hp and 597 tq... before the cams it made 645 and 560 or something like that.. but also heat could be a factor too if car was tuned on a cold day first time and hot day second time...

04dreamcobra

Established Member
dyno jet. And they were tuned about the same time a year a part. There prob was a little bit cooler temps in the first rune. But not more than maybe 10 degrees unless it was a freak day. Temp here are down due to the nasty weather. Did you experinece a loss of cam sound? like the lope? That's prob one of the weirdest things about this. Before it sounded nasty. Great sound! Now its smooth. really smooth for a cammed car imo

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Same tuner. The idle rpm is about the same as it was. If it changed I couldn't tell. And I might could understand the lope changing a little. But to totally take it out doesn't make sense to me. And that tells me something changed pretty drastically and there were no gains. I don't know. Just seems that something is still not right.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Was the timing of the cams adjusted properly? Assuming that work was done under the cam covers based on.."some engine items" being replaced.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
I'm assuming the timing was correct. There was no work under. Nothing internal was done this round. Pulley change, tanks, couple small things. The drive to the shop was as enjoyable as always. Great sound. The drive after was like a different car. Not necessarily in a bad way, but also not good. But very different. Again. These things are whats throwing me off. The shop says its all normal and that maybe my car was just running bad before. To me 580 at 14 psi is running pretty dang good.

Last edited:

65fastback289

Established Member
not many guys run cut-outs and these cars need some back pressure, that could account for how low your torque is.
also, if the cams were not degreed or installed properly, they could be opening the intake and exhaust at the same time and blowing the boost right out the exhaust. this could be another reason why your numbers are low and it doesnt sound cammed anymore.

my guess is tune related and you should be making mid 600 easy with that setup.

edited: saw your last post which answered my first question thats now been removed.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
I agree with the cutouts. Its more for show. the tuning was done with cutouts closed. I don't drive with them open much. Just a little extra wow factor for the cams at cruise ins or car shows. I have heard the cams were degreed wrong from a couple people. If that done through the tune or at installation? I would assume installation.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
With stock intercooler system, you need to be on E85. At that boost level, I bet you are close to boiling the coolant. If you are generating bubbles in the intercooler, iat will soar.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My vote is improper cam degreeing, and timing chain/cam train related.

You could talk to nasvt for some advice on troubleshooting such an issue and rough assesments of what the cam card should have read.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the cams weren't touched this time around then I would doubt they're suddenly out of time. How much boost was added?

Friend of mine has Crower stage 3's and it used to sound pretty nasty. Do to some unfortunate events the engine ended up needing a rebuild. The same cams were used, but this time they were degreed and he had a better tuner. The cams are still noticable, but not as much as before.

Users who are viewing this thread