not getting rated HP

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Spent the moring this morning and took my baby to the Horsepower Ranch here in Seattle. They specialize in guess what??? Horsepower lol............... dude is an awesome tuner.

I am however really bummed with the results. Car is bone stock. I will scan and post when I get to work tomorrow. The tests were run on a Powerdyne Mustang Dynamometer.

Ambient air was 67 degrees and the humidtity was 36 %

First run put down 407 RWHP and 424 RWTQ

Second run 399 & 322

Not sure bout the rest of you guys........... but this is not right. I have seen many posts that claim 440 bone stock and that would make sense from a standpoint of 500 @ the crank. So with my rear wheel numbers I am only getting approx 440-445 at the crank. Were is my other 60 HP going??

Whats up with that? This car was sold and advertised as 500 HP

The AF ran 9.5 thru 3140 RPM and stays consistant until 5200 and jumps to 15.0. overall avg was listed @ 11.2

Why does the AF nosedive to so lean @ 5200rpm? I know a tune will fix that, I guess my point of contention is why did I get a car that touts 500 HP @ the crank and Im only getting 430-445. This opens up the whole implied warranty thing. I paid for and expect 500 Crank HP.

How many of you would pursue this with Ford? Or are the posters that are claiming 445 at the Rear wheels bone stock Bull********???

Any input now that I have vented. For those of you that remember me when I first came to this board I p***** a lot of you off claiming my ride didnt feel as gutsy as my 03 termie. Well now I know why because this GT500 isnt as gutsy that why I did not feel a SOTP difference and was disapointed. My 03 termie was 450 RWHP

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
A Mustang dyno will net you lower numbers than a Dyno-Jet. Most everyone's numbers (that range from a low of 418 to as high as 445) are from Dyno-Jets. Heatsoak, air quality and temp make a big difference as well.

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

1tufgt

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
A Mustang dyno will net you lower numbers than a Dyno-Jet. Most everyone's numbers (that range from a low of 418 to as high as 445) are from Dyno-Jets. Heatsoak, air quality and temp make a big difference as well.

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

What he said. Mustang Dyno's read lower than a Dynojet. Reason is that they have tension on the rollers where the dynojet have free rolling rollers.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Another possibility would be clogged cats. My initial 03 Cobra dyno run was 325 at the rear. Took out the cats, problem solved.....

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
where are you getting the 445hp ratings from? divide .85(15% drivetrain loss) into your actual reading to find aproximate crank numbers.

407/.85 ~ 478.8 crank horsepower
424/.85 ~ 498.8 crank torque

than add in the mustang dyno which reads about 5% lower than a dyno jet and you are closer to 430rwhp. this would be about 505 crank horsepower.

as for feel, assuming same dyno for both cars your 03 has a better power/weight ratio.
3650/450 ~ 8.1
3850/407 ~ 9.4 even if it had 450rwhp it should feel slower.

GT500R

Established Member
jumpincactus said:
Whats up with that? This car was sold and advertised as 500 HP

The AF ran 9.5 thru 3140 RPM and stays consistant until 5200 and dives to 15.0. overall avg was listed @ 11.2

Why does the AF nosedive to so rich @ 5200rpm? I know a tune will fix that, I guess my point of contention is why did I get a car that touts 500 HP @ the crank and Im only getting 430-445. This opens up the whole implied warranty thing. I paid for and expect 500 Crank HP.

Any input now that I have vented. For those of you that remember me when I first came to this board I p***** a lot of you off claiming my ride didnt feel as gutsy as my 03 termie. Well now I know why because this GT500 isnt as gutsy that why I did not feel a SOTP difference and was disapointed. My 03 termie was 450 RWHP

9.5 is rich, 15.0 is lean, diving to 15.0 isn't right, more like climbing to 15.0

450 rwhp in a lighter car would feel a lot faster then 407whp in a heavier car

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
yep tune is jacked up if the a/f numbers you qouted are true, put a tune in it and watch how the car comes to life, if the guy you talk about is a good of a tuner as you say, he should have known this.that is very elementary tuning wise.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
we need a little more info. like how long was the drive? did you beat on it when you were driving it there? did you take straight from the road to the dyno with no cool down? etc. far too many variables.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Had to drive 20 miles to get there. Didnt open the whiner only once the whole way. I dod however notice the temp on the chart was 213 degrees.

The car only sat cooling about 15 minutes while he set up and ties everything down.

I said AF took a dive due to the graph. It shows the line falling abruptly downward thus I said dive.

I am curious why the radical change at 9.5 to 15.0 @ 5200 rpm why the massive fuel dump???

I will post my dyno sheet so maybe those of you that are decent tuners or readers of dynos may be able to help me out.

Thanks for the input ths far.

bluestreak89

Established Member
Take it to the drag strip and post some trap speeds, that would help too. 112-116 and your good, should get the tune though anyways.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
mustang dyno's can be made to read what they want to read.

Make sure they put in the right weight. Something doesn't sound right.

eci

Banned
This sounds normal. His 1st run is about right for a Mustang Dyno. His 2nd shows the car pulling massive timing probably due to heat.

GT500R

Established Member
jumpincactus said:
I am curious why the radical change at 9.5 to 15.0 @ 5200 rpm why the massive fuel dump???

I will post my dyno sheet so maybe those of you that are decent tuners or readers of dynos may be able to help me out.

Thanks for the input ths far.

that 9.5 to 15.0 is not massive fuel dump, thats massive lean a.k.a. not enough fuel at all and is not good at all

Users who are viewing this thread