Not enough Front Tire?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Wondering if anyone has experience with tire & suspension set ups? When I take a turn with decent "sweep" to it, I feel like my front tires are plowing. I have to stay easy on the gas cuz it seems like they want to go straight and the rear had plenty more bite. I know my tire set up isn't great for handling but anyone have insight on whether I have
•not enough front tire
•to much rear tire (won't change that need traction)
•to much on my rear sway
•not enough front sway
•some combo of these or something else?

Mods in my sig

*Front sway 3rd stiffest hole
*Rear sway middle hole

Last edited:

slick3

Established Member
Wondering if anyone has experience with tire & suspension set ups? When I take a turn with decent "sweep" to it, I feel like my front tires are plowing. I have to stay easy on the gas cuz it seems like they want to go straight and the rear had plenty more bite. I know my tire set up isn't great for handling but anyone have insight on whether I have
•not enough front tire
•to much rear tire (won't change that need traction)
•to much on my rear sway
•not enough front sway
•some combo of these or something else?

Mods in my sig

*Front sway 3rd stiffest hole
*Rear sway middle hole

Well I dont claim to be an expert but I have had a little bit of experience setting up circle track cars and suspension (solid rear axle). When you say the car is "plowing" are you saying that the car is pushing on early entry or all the way around the corner. When it starts to push is a big factor in how to fix it. If its at initial turn in I would bump the front sway up to a little stiffer and the rear down a little softer. Sounds like the car is unloading too quickly on the front wheel. You want the front to lead and the rear to follow. The tires dont help in this condition but softening the rear up might allow the back end to rotate a little better on entry and apex.

Setting up suspension is such an art so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Think of everything in an X pattern. The RF and LR as well as the LF and RR. The initial load is planted over the front wheels and weight is transferred across to the rear of the car.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Plowing.... When I go around a "jug handle" or "round about" (as it's called everywhere else) the front feels like it's sliding and the rear very planted. That's really all the way through the turn

Angry50

Established Member
are you sure youre just not going in to fast? isn't the NT05r more of a drag radial? not so much for road course? im not sure but that was my understanding

Tyler72

Established Member
Its called under steer... To fight that, soften your front sway bar, you've got it too stiff. You could also stiffen your rear bar to help. I auto cross nearly every weekend, and to put it in perspective, to keep my car balanced on street tires, I have to run full stiff on the rear bar and full soft on the front. Handles beautifully there.

No much info online that's easy to understand.

CSG

Established Member
Its called under steer... To fight that, soften your front sway bar, you've got it too stiff. You could also stiffen your rear bar to help. I auto cross nearly every weekend, and to put it in perspective, to keep my car balanced on street tires, I have to run full stiff on the rear bar and full soft on the front. Handles beautifully there.

Correct. Or add more/better front tire. Adjust pressure to fine tune. Your spring rates could be causing it as well.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
are you sure youre just not going in to fast? isn't the NT05r more of a drag radial? not so much for road course? im not sure but that was my understanding

Is there really such a thing as going to fast? ;) I modded my suspension so I could go around turns fast. I have basically zero body roll and the tires aren't screaming. The NT05R is a drag radial. The NT05 (up front) doesn't have the "R" but I'm not sure how much that matters. I would think that they have more contact patch than a "regular" street tire.

Ahh Understeer! I always get over & under confused :)
I will change the front position by one and see how it feels. So you think (in your opinion) I have enough front tire??

Seems not too many on the forum are as concerned with handling as they are "go fast in a straight line". Not everyone but many more than others.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Correct. Or add more/better front tire. Adjust pressure to fine tune. Your spring rates could be causing it as well.
I have tire pressure around 32psi...You mean the springs are too stiff? I didn't think the Eibach Pro's were that aggressive.

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
I run a 255 front and 285 rear (stock sizes for a Laguna Seca) and I have tuned my car to be pretty close to perfect for my driving style. I'm sure there are people (Sam Strano) who could fine tune it more, but for me it works very well. I'm not sure what size tires you are running, but if its pushing out with the front bar on full stiff, soften it up and that will help. But go one adjustment point, and try that. If it still pushes, move it one more and try again. If it still pushes, stiffen the rear bar. If that still doesn't satisfy you, you would need to start playing with shock settings. Or put more front tire/wheel on it. Just remember a wider front tire tends to follow abnormalities in the surface of the road.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm not sure what size tires you are running, but if its pushing out with the front bar on full stiff, soften it up and that will help. But go one adjustment point, and try that. If it still pushes, move it one more and try again. If it still pushes, stiffen the rear bar. If that still doesn't satisfy you, you would need to start playing with shock settings. Or put more front tire/wheel on it. Just remember a wider front tire tends to follow abnormalities in the surface of the road.

Sorry my tire sizes are in my first post in my Sig. 255/35 Nitto NT05 up front 315/35 Nitto NT05(R) rear. Front sway is in 3rd (of 4) stiffest and the rear in the middle hole (of 3 settings). Tires are still in good shape and I wont be changing the fronts to be wider just yet, so I'll try to soften the front one setting first and see how that works.

Thanks

CSG

Established Member
Softer means more grip at that end. So by softening either the bar or spring rate you gain grip at that end of the car. Stiff is not always fast although it feels fast. Shock settings are used when it is not a steady state push. I will air up the rear tires to lose some grip if the car is pushing in turns. It is one of those easy to do things between qualifying and the race. Cars are set up to understeer as it is safer for the masses. You have made it worse by using the R rear tires. It will probably never be great with the mixed tires but you should be able to get it pretty good.

86Fbody

Established Member
Sway bar settings probably will help as others have said, have you noticed if the front tires are rolling, wearing past the tread and onto the sidewall? Could be also that the sidewall is too soft.

Mineral_01'

Established Member
There are tons of information about the S197 chassis and how to make it properly handle. Keep doing research on understeer as this is what you are facing.

Please see this thread, it is pretty much the holy grail of suspension threads for the S197 chassis. Skip down to post #7 and read everything Whiskey11 has to say throughout the thread. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/293434-suspension-sticky.html

After you have read that, contact/PM Kelly the BMR rep here and every other mustang forum on the web. He is also very knowledgeable and get you setup to turn:)

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Sway bar settings probably will help as others have said, have you noticed if the front tires are rolling, wearing past the tread and onto the sidewall? Could be also that the sidewall is too soft.

I only have about 2,000 on these tires and only 800 on the springs & 500 (maybe) with the new sway bar set up

86Fbody

Established Member
I only have about 2,000 on these tires and only 800 on the springs & 500 (maybe) with the new sway bar set up

What I meant was you can see if the sidewall is not stiff enough for your driving style if the tire is rolling when going around a corner, this will cause the tread to were differently which you should be able to see.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
What I meant was you can see if the sidewall is not stiff enough for your driving style if the tire is rolling when going around a corner, this will cause the tread to were differently which you should be able to see.

I figured that after I wrote and realized I didn't really respond properly. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe the tire was rolling on the sidewall.

Users who are viewing this thread