Not an SVTC, but questions...

einehund

Established Member
I did a search and didn't find anything, so I apologize if this has been covered. I put the Shelby to sleep for the winter, so my DD is a V-6 Contour. Speaking strictly about the engine, what are the differences that allow the extra 25 hp? heads? cams? tuning? I've looked at the physical difference between the standard V6 and the SVT version, and it looks the same on the exterior. I'm looking at doing some performance stuff and am not quite sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You got it. And the flywheel was lightened and I take was extrude honed

cSvt1295

Established Member
The SVT had different pistons and a special ECU. The heads have the extrude hone polishing on the combustion chambers and have a higher compression ratio.

For improving performance, a lot of people swap out the stock 2.5 for the 2001+ 3L. You can pick up a junkyard 3.0 from $500-$1k and depending on what setup you go with (full, port matched, hybrid), you can end up with well over 200whp and 200wtq.

That, boost, and an HMS built LSD trans is the best way to squeeze big numbers out of these cars. There's a bunch of smaller things such as bolt ons, throttle body & y-pipe optimizing, etc. that will bump power a tiny bit but it can add up quickly.

Silver99Contour

Established Member
Owners Manual. Has a special book that came with the car on the specs for SVTC. If you don't have one google it, or ill be more than happy to send you them if needed:pepper:

einehund

Established Member
I've heard of the 3.0L swap. any links to how involved it actually is? I'm down for doing the hard work, but fab work is out of my realm of tools I own.

Users who are viewing this thread