Not a Cobra/Lightning but killed a comparable car

chknhwk

At least I thought it would have been but I may be wrong.
Just completed the 3.0L swap on my contour and few people have messed with me - probably b/c it looks like a grocery getter with four doors - but this V6 hyundai was hugging my rear and blew around me and I was :rollseyes but maybe a little worried. It was raining out so traction is horrid, even in FWD.
It went to two lanes and was like this for some time. Watching traffic as we came to a four lane split and a light I pulled in behind him waiting for the light to turn.
There was one person in front of him and the light changed. Everybody goes then he rolls to the right lane to pass slowpoke in front and accelerates to pass. I'm in second gear getting right up to where the secondaries open. I gun it and also pass b/c the guy didn't move over and completely blow by the hyundai. I shifted into third then fourth and the new engine just screams to go (I'm keeping this in perspective here - I own a '98 Cobra so I realize the car isn't going to break any records... :p ).
I slow down and wait for him to catch up in fourth and I need to get past him in the right lane as people are turning from the left. I just depress the accelerator in fourth and jump ahead of him again.
He turns off at the next light so either he was piffed or wasn't trying. :shrug: Should I look for more suitable adversaries - I have read quite a few good things about the V6es in the Hyundais.
My friend also has a '98 SVT Contour and he was giving me grief about 'breaking it in' on the PA turnpike. We pulled into a rest stop and I told him I never even downshifted from fifth where he had to downshift several times to keep up my acceleration in fifth.
Something for the Contour guys...

95Mike

Kick-Ass Grocery-Getter!
Established Member
Sweet! I've been looking forward to driving a 3 liter to see what the added bottom end is like. If you're on the west coast sometime, let me know and we can meet up.

Users who are viewing this thread