north myrtle beach dragway anyone?

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Will anyone be going to the drag strip in north myrtle during mustang week? Its and 1/8mile and a lot closer to the beach.

This is the address.

2001 Starr Bluff Road, Longs, SC

Rodcobra

Established Member
Will anyone be going to the drag strip in north myrtle during mustang week? Its and 1/8mile and a lot closer to the beach.

This is the address.

2001 Starr Bluff Road, Longs, SC

There's a reason we don't go there . The owner is a really nice guy ,but the track needs some work and I don't think it will hold 500-800 cars and over 2 or 3000 people ,also we need alot of space for the sponsors and vendors and I don't think everyone wants to park in ,what could be wet deep grass . He's making upgrades to the track and when we feel that it could accomidate us ,then we will go . BTW let us know what you think if you go ,I think he's open on Sunday .

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Do you know any contact info for that track I wasn't really able to find any just saw the address and some people talking about it on the net.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Never mind didn't know you would take offense to it just looking for some more info since it seems you know more than most about the track there.

Rodcobra

Established Member
Never mind didn't know you would take offense to it just looking for some more info since it seems you know more than most about the track there.

None taken at all ,just wanting to see who's talking about it . We have asked a few people to check it out and let us know what they think . We ,mustangweek staff, just don't feel that the track is ready to accomidate us yet. He is making upgrades and it takes time ,and like last year we will stop by and have a look at it again .:banana:

SeankySnake

Established Member
I have been to the track a few times before, yes the track needs some upgrades and they are working on it. I too agree about it being closer and not to mention it is about 5-10mins aways vs. an 1 hr and 30 mins each way, the drive is what turns ALOT of people off about Drag Night. I have made the drive every year to Darlington but this year I think I'm going to pass on Drag Night. I personally would like to see Myrtle Beach Dragway hold an event for those of us who don't want to drive to Darlington. I really think if MBDW would do this more "families" would be willing to attend due to the location and all of the attractions of MB.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
I have been to the track a few times before, yes the track needs some upgrades and they are working on it. I too agree about it being closer and not to mention it is about 5-10mins aways vs. an 1 hr and 30 mins each way, the drive is what turns ALOT of people off about Drag Night. I have made the drive every year to Darlington but this year I think I'm going to pass on Drag Night. I personally would like to see Myrtle Beach Dragway hold an event for those of us who don't want to drive to Darlington. I really think if MBDW would do this more "families" would be willing to attend due to the location and all of the attractions of MB.

This is what I was thinking just something for the people that didn't go to darlington to do.

Rodcobra

Established Member
Rusty you know we can't do this ,we can't have two drag nites ,it will not work . We have all of sponsors and vendors set up at Darlington and someone hears the NMB track is open ,well I have ALOT of mad sponsors and vendors ,because the turn out there would be lower . So untill the NMB track does upgrades, it's Darlington . I think they are open on that Sunday someone go check it out and see what you think. If it would rain any amount at all the day of or before you have alot of wet grass to park in ,I could see a mess from that along .

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
We have had at least four onsite meetings with the NMB track owners/management. We, the MW Staff, have discussed the feasabililty of Dragnight at NMB at great length, taking all things into account. NMB is nowhere near ready for the Dragnight numbers at this time. The NMB owners have wonderful goals and I sincerely hope they are one day met. But, I don't forsee those goals being met for a long time. We have watched their progress closely for some time and little has changed in the last three years.

Hosting/holding a seperate dragstrip event the same night as MW Dragnight would cause serious problems, especially with sponsors. We are reminded time and time again that MW owes much of its success to the current scedule and the fact that there aren't multiple events going on up and down the beach at the same time.

We encourage anyone that could go to visit NMB Dragstrip during their stay in MB and then give us, either by PM or e-mail, their honest opinions on the facilities. And, as Rodney said, we will meet with the NMB folks again this year and see what progress has been made.

Last edited:

SeankySnake

Established Member
Rusty you know we can't do this ,we can't have two drag nites ,it will not work . We have all of sponsors and vendors set up at Darlington and someone hears the NMB track is open ,well I have ALOT of mad sponsors and vendors ,because the turn out there would be lower . So untill the NMB track does upgrades, it's Darlington . I think they are open on that Sunday someone go check it out and see what you think. If it would rain any amount at all the day of or before you have alot of wet grass to park in ,I could see a mess from that along .

Rodney, I know we can't, I did not mean for the post above to sound like I was complaining about it. I too know that we can not please eveyone at all times. And yes I deff know what you would have to be dealing with from the sponsor's side as well. I personally and would rather run the qtr mile vs. the 1/8 mile any day. I will deff go and check out the NMB Dragway the week of MW10 and hopefully get to speak to the owner about his future upgrades and plans. I too would personally would like to see the turnout at Drag Night much larger in the future, last year we had a great turnout and well you know the rest of the story. But hopefully Darlington will have that issue taken care of this year.

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
Rodney, I know we can't, I did not mean for the post above to sound like I was complaining about it. I too know that we can not please eveyone at all times. And yes I deff know what you would have to be dealing with from the sponsor's side as well. I personally and would rather run the qtr mile vs. the 1/8 mile any day. I will deff go and check out the NMB Dragway the week of MW10 and hopefully get to speak to the owner about his future upgrades and plans. I too would personally would like to see the turnout at Drag Night much larger in the future, last year we had a great turnout and well you know the rest of the story. But hopefully Darlington will have that issue taken care of this year.

I'm going to try and be very pro-active with Darlington's management in the days leading up to this year's Dragnight. They are going to need to be ready for the flux of cars that I forsee showing up. And I'm going to make sure the track is preped and ready to begin on time.

Users who are viewing this thread