North American Automotive Production Forecast till 2025

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Check out the history of body styling timeframe: 94-98, 99-04, 05-09, and even 10-14 had updates within that 5 year timeframe. There is a very good chance that ford will change the styling at least a little bit after a 5 year run. Same basically chassis, but could be a big body style change.

Yup, a mid cycle refresh, like I would expect in 2018, is pretty cheap compared to a redesign. Mid cycle refreshes typically have design/technology updates to keep the platform looking current without requiring the company to redo crash testing or EPA testing. Although they could decide to update the drivetrain enough for EPA testing, it wouldn't require crash safety testing. I would say there is a decent chance that we will see a 10 speed auto in 2018 in the mustang. I wouldn't bet money on it, but I would think after years of expensive development on the 10 speed, they would want to start getting it into cars ASAP to start recovering costs.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
On some body panels, and some suspension/drive-train components.

The mustang won't drop 400 pounds through the chassis alone, but could probably lose around 150-200 if they went 100% aluminum, plus make all the body panels aluminum/plastic. More suspension components could probably go aluminum, too if they really wanted to. Some parts will always remain steel parts, but there are quite a few areas that could be moved to aluminum/plastic/carbon fiber. Some aluminum parts won't see a price drop from the Alcoa tech mentioned above, but all the chassis/body panels could see a price drop.

Other than body panels what else can go aluminum? The F150 is still steel frame and chassis right, it's just the body?

Carbon fiber is $$$$, I have a hard time seeing it get so cheap in just a few years it replaces metal at little to no cost almost anywhere on the car.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying to hit 3300lbs in the same dimensions as current is going to cost alot.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I have a 2014 SEL and I love it.

Bought it cheap when Ford had a 6K rebate.

Comfortable and gets 30mpg, paid a little under 25k, hell of a value, loaded with leather and V6.

So far so good with reliability.

I love my SHO too. Handles really well for a big car, comfy etc. I have a hard time seeing it going all the way to 2025 though. Came out in what, 2010? 15 years is a long long time.

At least we can guess it will get the new 3.5 replacement when that comes out. 400 plus hp stock, yes please.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I love my SHO too. Handles really well for a big car, comfy etc. I have a hard time seeing it going all the way to 2025 though. Came out in what, 2010? 15 years is a long long time.

At least we can guess it will get the new 3.5 replacement when that comes out. 400 plus hp stock, yes please.

The base under-printings for the SHO came out in 98-00. It's the new Criown Vic. lol

Sirraf

Established Member
Take anything the automotive industry says with a grain of salt concerning future production. Plans change literally every week. Anytime I look at business plans more than a year out, I usually don't even pay attention.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
The base under-printings for the SHO came out in 98-00. It's the new Criown Vic. lol

My "crown vic" was more than enough for the brand new ats-4 who wanted to turn a few corners down a local backcountry road lol. I do love the sleeper effect, surprised more than a few.

Ford did an amazing job on this car. The simple fact it full size cars don't sell like they used to. Everyone wants a dammed crossover. Yuk.

Edit: 2025 will make it a bit long in the tooth is what I was saying. Kinda wonder if they even replace it.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Other than body panels what else can go aluminum? The F150 is still steel frame and chassis right, it's just the body?

Carbon fiber is $$$$, I have a hard time seeing it get so cheap in just a few years it replaces metal at little to no cost almost anywhere on the car.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying to hit 3300lbs in the same dimensions as current is going to cost alot.

F-150 frame is still steel as the general public isnt ready for anything else. No one wants to believe that aluminum can be just as strong and durable as steel. It was a huge leap of faith just to make the body aluminum without everyone complaining about weak soda can material. The only thing the aluminum in the truck and soda cans share is the name just about. Ford is taking very deliberate steps in introducing more aluminum into the trucks.

The entire chassis can be made from aluminum, and be lighter, stronger, and safer. Just look at jaguar and Aston Martin. Hell even the corvette has an aluminum chassis. Aston Martin takes the aluminum to an entirely different level with how they bond body panels together. They use adhesive that is both lighter and stronger than welds, but requires a lot of precaution when uncured and takes a lot of time in ovens. Not conducive to mass production.

I didn't mean that carbon fiber was going to be used, just it was an option. Carbon fiber is insanely expensive for anything other than a flat panel. Ford, and others, are pumping billions of dollars into research though, and we are starting to see fruits of their labors. The M3 has a carbon fiber roof and deck lid I believe, and we have carbon fiber wheels on a production mustang. Obviously they require the higher price point ATM, but it is coming.

Users who are viewing this thread